Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May Wrap-Up

Mud Vein- Tarryn Fisher
The Winner's Kiss- Marie Rutkoski
The Rose and the Dagger- Renee Ahdieh
Outcast Volume 1- Robert Kirkman
Big Magic- Elizabeth Gilbert
The Last Star- Rick Yancey
History Is All You Left Me- Adam Silvera
A Torch Against the Night- Sabaa Tahir

Oh May, you came and went like lightening... There one second, gone the next, and with a bang. As you can probably tell I didn't read a whole lot this month. There's two reasons for this- first, I was in a massive larger than life reading slump.  It took me almost two weeks to finish a book that was under 400 pages because I was in such a funk. Second we went to Chicago for BEA and Bookcon. Those two events took a week away from me. I thought I was going to be pretty bummed out by the number of books I read this month, but honestly I'm not. I'm still on track as far as my Goodreads challenge goes, and BEA/Bookcon was totally worth it. It was amazing and think it might be what got me out of my funk. Getting to meet so many authors and snagging so many ARCs put me in the best kind of mood. There is also a positive side about knowing (or choosing) not to read so many books in a month, and that's you tend to be more selective in what you read. This usually leads to more of a quality verses quantity result

My top picks for the month of May are *drum roll please*- Mud Vein, The Winner's Kiss, The Last Star, and History Is All You Left MeMud Vein was like nothing I've ever read before. I don't even know where I would categorize it. It's like non romance-romance-thriller-and everything but the kitchen sink. It's not a book that will be for everyone, but that just adds to why I liked it so much. If you're a fan of books by Gillian Flynn Mud Vein might just be for you. The Winner's Kiss is the third and final book in The Winner's Trilogy. I had such high hopes for this politically driven series, and it didn't let me down. This series was just stunning from start to finish. The Last Star is another final book in a series, but the 5th Wave trilogy. I have been waiting over a year for this to come out! I seriously think I was touched by an angel, because I managed to get an early copy of this book too! It was a-freaking-mazing. It was everything I wanted from a finale and more. We also got to meet Mr. Rick Yancey this month as well, and it was also worth the wait. Lastly is History Is All You Left Me. This book might not be coming out till 2017, but it will more than likely be on my favorites for this year. This was an amazing second book for Adam Silvera.This book broke my heart! Even if you're not a fan of contemporary you'll still love this.

My fails this month are- Big Magic and A Torch Against the Night. Big Magic was not what I thought it was. I was thinking it was just a non fiction book, but turns out it was more of a motivational book. After figuring this out I still tried to go forth with it. I was listening to it on audio book and once I got to the half way mark I knew I couldn't go any further. A torch Against the Night is the second book in The Ember in the Ashes series. I was really looking forward to this, especially with how much hype is surrounding it. I was very disappointed in this. It for sure suffers from second book syndrome.

That's it for May.

-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment