Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Paper Hearts by Claire Contreras

"I lost her. No, I didn't lose her. I threw her away. She was my best friend. I was never supposed to fall in love with her. I was careless. She was heartbroken. I was doing fine until she came back into my life and reminded me what love was supposed to feel like.
When it's all said and done, she may not want to stay, but this time I'm going to do everything in my power to not let her go." -Goodreads synopsis


"I let her go, not because I loved her too much to ask her to stay, but because I couldn't bear to hear her tell me she wouldn't. Still, Every once in a while I wonder. And nothing is more haunting than regret."

Some of my favorite books to read are second chance romances. It’s one of the reasons I’m so drawn to authors like Nicholas Sparks and Colleen Hoover. That’s what Claire Contreras' writing reminds me of.


As soon I read Torn Hearts I knew I had to get my hands on Paper Hearts. Mia was so funny and Jensen was so troubled. I had this feeling I would love where these two would take this story. Not to toot my own horn, but I was so right. Both characters gave me everything I wanted. Mia gave me tons of sassy smart-ass moments and Jensen gave me the character development I was dying to read. I loved how their relationship went, how it fell apart, and how it was put back together. These two characters both felt so real and their reactions to situations were also realistic, this making both so likable.Two things that really stood out to me in this book were both involving Jensen. First, I really wanted to hate Jensen for what he does, but as the novel goes on and Claire takes us further into his story I really started to understand him. I stated realizing that the choices he made were the right ones. I wanted to hate him as much as Mia did, but as she grew to love him again so did I. Second, I love that Jensen and his ex weren’t enemies. I highly enjoyed their friendship. I applaud Claire for not making the ex out to be the bad guy. Most books that fall into NA romance follow this path where the ex is a dick/drug addict/holds things against the lead and it was refreshing that this didn’t happen.   

"Pain isn't just losing the person you love. Pain is losing the person you love, seeing them with somebody else, and not interfering because you know you can't give them the life they deserve."


Another highlight of this book was the news column aspect. Really liked Jensen's Sex and the City like little side pieces. These pieces were able to take events the characters did and down size them without taking away from the story, and if those don't win you over their childhood story will.





As for the plot of Paper Hearts I won’t lie, I knew exactly how everything would play out. A good writer however makes you not care, and still can make you fall in love with their story. Paper Hearts is good writing. That being said there were a few moments when things didn’t go the way I thought they would. So having the story take a different path kept me turning pages and being hooked. The plot as this smooth ease to it that will pull you in. Paper Hearts is one of my favorite New Adult reads this year. Claire Contreras is an author that hasn't let me down yet and I'm thankful I stumbled upon her.

10/10 Stars 
-Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment