Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Score by Elle Kennedy

"Allie Hayes is in crisis mode. With graduation looming, she still doesn’t have the first clue about what she's going to do after college. To make matters worse, she’s nursing a broken heart thanks to the end of her longtime relationship. Wild rebound sex is definitely not the solution to her problems, but gorgeous hockey star Dean Di-Laurentis is impossible to resist. Just once, though, because even if her future is uncertain, it sure as heck won’t include the king of one-night stands." -Goodreads Synopsis

First off I want to thank Hulya for sending me a copy. I was having such a crap week until I got this. Thank you so much again. Second, this book legit put me in the best mood. Been walking around beaming since I finished this. Third, you're probably judging this book by it's cover... Well don't! Just embrace it! I know I have.

The Score is following two characters that if you have read any of Elle's other books in this series you'll remember. Allie our leading female is a acting major and then Dean our male is currently studying law. Y'all I liked Allie right from the get go. She is hilarious and dramatic just like I am. So the two of us just clicked right away. Everything she said had me rolling! I loved how comfortable she was with herself. She would just walk into a room, make herself at home, and could talk to anyone. Allie is a top notch A plus female lead. I have zero complaints about her. Her reactions to situations and the way she handles things felt real. On to Dean... Dean was different for me. It is very, very rare that I don't like the leading guys right off the bat and with Dean he definitely had to grow on me. I love overly cocky guys in books, but for some reason when we first got into Dean's POV I just didn't like him. He really does straddle the line of cocky and confident. Usually me likey this, but not so much in Dean's case. I would like him one second then would be blah towards him the next... It went back and forth like that for a short while. He would basically call himself a God-I'd want to yak- then he would make a Twilight reference and would have me laughing so hard! His "I love me attitude" was just something in the long run that just had to grow on me... However, once he starts doing the Pee Wee hockey gig, whoosh, I was singing a different tune! That's when I started warming up to him. From then on out my feeling for him increased. The moment I become 100% sold though was when Allie walked into the room and he just doesn't talk and is just staring... Yeah, that might sound a little creepy but promise it's really romantic. I also want to say I 1000% have his back on his view of girls and slut shaming themselves. Because he's right the word slut should be erased from our vocb.

The relationship between these two is gold. They just shouldn't fit together but they do. Opposites attract has never been more right. The moments when these two are alone and just joking around with one another are priceless. Their banter is some of the best. Like when they are making negotiations to hang out, I was dying!

“How about you leave? Counter offer - I stay and we dry hump. Counter offer- you can stay, but you're not allowed to talk. I stay, I'm allowed to talk, but I wont hit on you. You stay, you can't hit on me, and you have to watch my show without a single complaint. I accept your terms..."

The storyline for this book is just as great as the romance. It starts off right away with a bang and doesn't let up. It has the right amount of twist and turns but manages to never overdo it. NA books can easily slip into that lame cheesy pattern that will having you rolling your eyes till they nearly fall out... This isn't a problem with The Score. Everything plays out so smooth and even surprised me. There are so many moments I thought I had predicted and was happy when they went another direction. Elle really manages to keep the story fresh. The beginning and middle are great. The start lets you get to know the characters. The middle has you falling in love with them. The ending is what really got me. I just didn't see it coming. Some of you might consider this a spoiler, I don't, but warning anyways.... Towards the end when the two get into a fight and Allie is yelling at him basically telling him that he wasn't there for her. That on such an important day, when all she needed was for him to be there, he wasn't. I was wounded! Just hit me right in the feels. Relationships really are about people just being there. All I could think about while reading this was the scene in That Awkward Moment when Imogen Poots is yelling at Zac Efron and says... "You weren't there for me. On a day I really really needed you. And being there for someone when they need you? That's all relationships are, that's all they are"...It's so freaking true too. That's how the whole scene plays out, and just like in that movie it's so perfectly heartbreaking.


The plot isn't just jokes, banter, with a few sad moments, it's also laced with great smutty scenes that will have you weak in the knees. Did I mention all this awesomeness is being thrown at us and then Elle still manages to weave in hockey!?!?! Well it is! And it's done flawlessly.

I loved everything about The Score. There is so much more I want to say about this book... but this review is getting wicked long and I've already taken out so much. The Score keeps the traditional NA book mold and follows the formula that all of us love... It will go the way you expected, but what you wont expect is that this book will have you laughing till you're in tears. Elle writes like Christina Lauren mixed with CoHo and it's as good as it sounds. Oh and I'm not sorry about how long this review is.

10/10 Stars
-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment