Saturday, July 2, 2016

Angela's June Wrap-Up

Yall not even going to lie, this month really got away from me. I was super slammed and a little overwhelmed. So basically, reading took a backseat to being an adult (which we all know blows). First off I was transitioning jobs. Which is both stressful and a joy. Second my car had some scary recalls on it so I was having to juggle that as well. Third Game of Thrones has well got me all over the place! Seriously, those last two episodes!!!! they might just be the best two hours and nine minutes of television I've ever seen! All-in-all (is that a saying?) I took some real me time and my reading was more than light. Also going to be upfront it will be a lot lighter for a little while longer. New job=working a lot more hours.

The Crown- Kiera Cass
The Raven King- Maggie Stiefvater
A Court of Mist and Fury- Sarah J. Maas
Harley Quinn & Her Gang of Harley's Volume 2- Jimmy Palmiotti
It Ends With Us (ARC)- Colleen Hoover
This Is Where It Ends- Marieke Nijkamp
Bright Side- Kim Holden

Wow, guess I didn't do nearly as bad as I thought. Wish it was more, but glad it wasn't zero. As far as my favorites and flops this month they were very clear.

Favorites: A Court of Mist and Fury and It Ends with Us. These are the only two I gave perfect ratings this month. These two books were flawless! Everyone kept saying that ACOMAF is a game changing book, and it really was! This book is over 600 pages, and with so much heft comes the fear of second book syndrome... Thank the book Gods that that didn't happen. Everything about this novel- the feels, the twist, the romance was perfection. Trust me when I say I'm not overselling this book either. If anything I'm underselling it. Second and lastly, It Ends with Us. I was so fortunate to get an early copy of this book. Again the book Gods must be looking out for me. This is the new novel by Colleen Hoover set to come out early August. Lately I feel like CoHo has been taking bolder moves with her writing, and I think it's really paying off. She has been promoting this book as the only thing she's ever written that is personal. She never writes anything based off of her life, she writes purely to entertain us. So reading this book and knowing it's so personal had me setting high standards. She completely hit the mark. The book itself was amazing, but the author note had me balling my eyes out! Sitting on the floor straight sobbing!!! These two books are must buys for 2016. I also want to give honorable mention to Bright Side. Which fell just shy of getting a perfect rating.

Flops: I'm very pleased to say I didn't give a signal book this month a one star rating! I don't think this has ever happened. However there were several books that didn't meet my expectations. This is Where it Ends, The Crown, and The Raven King. This is Where It Ends wasn't in anyway a bad book. The set up of book was amazing, just something about it didn't emotionally move me like I had expected. The Crown, wow what can I say... I think this series should have ended with The One. The Selection series is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, but the two additional ones Kiera Cass has released didn't make the cut. Lastly The Raven King. This is going to be a very unpopular opinion, but going to say it anyways. This series and I never fully connected. I wish I loved it as much as everyone else does, but sadly I don't. I do want to say that this was my favorite book in the series, but the whole thing was really predictable.

I think at the end of these I'm going to start putting my next month TBRs. Or at least the books I want or hope to get to next month. So, my TBR for August are- Replica by Lauren Oliver (started), Wicked Heart by Leisa Rayven, The Force of Gravity by Kelly Stevenson, What Light by Jay Asher, and The Sun is Also a Star by Niccola Yoon. My goal is to start reading one book by a male author every month, to read one book a week starting the first, and to pepper in a little more graphic novels because I've really been slacking in that departments.

Till next month.
-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment