Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Zenith by Lindsey Cummings & Sasha Alsberg

"Most know Androma Racella as the Bloody Baroness: a powerful mercenary whose reign of terror stretches across the Mirabel Galaxy. To those aboard her fearsome glass starship the Maurader, she’s just Andi, their captain and protector.

When a routine mission goes awry, the all-girl crew’s resilience is tested as they find themselves in a most unfamiliar place: at the mercy of a sadistic bounty hunter connected to Andi’s past and a harrowing betrayal
." -Goodreads synopsis

There's something I need to say first before putting my review for Zenith out into the world... I've read a ton of reviews where people were bashing this book because one of the authors is a Youtube book reviewer.  I want everyone to know that I never once took that into account when reading or reviewing this book. I actually really enjoy Sasha's reviews, and I loved The Murder Complex by Lindsey Cummings, so when it came to reading this book I put everything aside and just went into it like I would any other. Now on to the review.

I think that I'm going to write this review a little different than others, because I find myself struggling to do a review in my usual fashion. Since this book is closer to a novella/short story, and will be released in parts, I think it's harder to write a bulk review. This is just going to be a list of what I found to be pros and cons for Zenith.

-The world is very different from anything else out there right now. It's interesting and for the most part fascinating. However, I found it lacking depth. This could change as the series continues, but as far as this first part went it was lacking that gripping factor.
-The synopsis of the book will pull you in, but the story doesn't back it up. The synopsis made this book sound so interesting and intense but the story itself was confusing.
-It's said to be around 62 pages, but it's more like 40.
-The world itself might be interesting sounding, but lacked information. They tried to fit so much into such a small space, yet managed to be so vague about everything.
- The writing style was just a con for me. It felt like two different authors were writing it. It was lacking flow.
-The story lacked polish. Felt like Zenith was just list of names.
-The Blood Baroness aka the most notorious criminals in all of Mirabel... well wasn't very intimidating. She was just kind of all talk. Yeah, she killed a lot of people, but I was never scared.
-The plot-line is a bit recycled and feels like many things I've read before.
-I do have a feeling this story could become very likeable with time and a little more effort. (Not saying the authors didn't put their heart into this, I just think they have more to offer, and hopefully with time this will show)
-A lot of the sentences and writing were just.... Awkward. (I don't know if that's the word I'm really looking for, but it's the one I'm going to use.) I found myself asking myself "What??" far too often.

“Breck shrugged. ‘Any money is good money, if it brings us more food stores.’
‘And ammo,’ Gilly said, cracking her knuckles like the soldier she was.
 Andi inclined her head at Lira.
‘Thoughts?’
‘We will see where the stars lead us,’ Lira answered. 
Andi nodded."

-There are a lot of mentioned but unanswered things about the plot... Talks of a war, but nothing about: who started it, who is involved, why it happened, etc. There's aliens? Well maybe. There's someone with green blood and someone with blue skin.
-Feel I was handed all these new worlds, races, species, and social systems and then basically told "here... now figure it out yourself".

        “Marauder and her crew could lose a tail as fast as a Xen Pterran Darowak could fly.” ...

 Ummm what the heck is a Xen Pterran Darowak?!?! Again, just fancy names were expected to just know. I get the authors don't want to give everything away right away, but you have to give us something!

-A big pro for me was diversity. Zenith is oozing with diversity.
-There's too much description without the descriptions.
-Andi being compared to Celaena Sardothien... Okay yall; lets not do this. Andi isn't AT ALL like my girl Ce. Even though Celaena a hired assassin I still feel like there is actual motivation behind her killings. There are reasons she does the things she does. Andi is killing people just for the Hell of it. She's a villain who they are trying paint as something "good". These two characters, though both killers, are nothing alike. POINT BLANK.
-A possible interesting "ship" in the works???? I think the authors have a possible love interest brewing and I dig it! Think it might be a spoiler if I say who between, but I did enjoy the love hate aspect of it.
-The ending will definitely having you wanting to read the next one... BUT I just don't know if its enough to get me to.

I think Sasha is just getting her footing into the writing world, and that Lindsey is doing the same when it comes to learning to CO-writer. Though my rating is low for this story, I strongly believe that these two can find a balance and make this series work in the future. Maybe when the series is full released I'll be more motivated to go back to it.

1/10 Stars
-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment