Tuesday, August 30, 2016

August Wrap-Up

Perfect (Pretty Little Liars 4)- Sara Shepard
Vicious- VE Schwab
Replica- Lauren Oliver DNF
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock- Matthew Quick
F*ck Love- Tarryn Fisher
Adnan's Story- Rabia Chaudry

I would love to lie to everyone and say that since there are only a few days left in the month that I will try and sneak in a few more books before it ends, but we all know that's not true. I've just been so busy working, and in such a big slump that I had to "force" myself to even pick up the few books I did this month. I think September will be a little better reading wise because my work schedule is more set and isn't as all over the place. I believe I have every weekend off in September so that constant might help me get out of this slump. Not only am I in a reading slump, but I'm in a reviewing slump too. Every time I open my laptop to write a review I get about two sentences in and just don't feel up to it anymore. I have so many books to review, and I don't think I have more than a paragraph written for a single one. Which, when you write for a book blog isn't a good thing. I'm letting this messy funk last the right of the month and then September will be all about shaking it off! The only other thing that really happened this month is that I did my first ever buddy read with Sandra from a Gotathingforthings!  It was so much fun! Like I said in my review for Vicious, getting a chance to read this with someone that is geographically so far away from me was so amazing! It made the experience that much better!

Go click the link and watch her video review, because it is so good! She basically takes the words right out of my mouth. Even though she is team Eli and I am team Victor lol.

Favorites: Vicious by VE Schwab. Yep, that was my only 10 star (5 star) read for all of August.  Kind of have a love hate when this happens. "This" being when I only love one book the entire month. Think it shows how much the book really stood out against the others. Vicious is about two college friend who find out that under the right circumstances that you can acquire extraordinary powers. This book was so dark and had so much depth to it. I think the two things I like best about it is that first, it had this feel where the whole time I could imagine it being a movie. So much so that I actually did a whole post where I dreamcasted it. Second that the book has such a heavy grey area about which guy is right and which guy is wrong in their beliefs. Both were right and both could easily be wrong. I didn't have a single complaint about this novel.

Middle: If you follow me you know I've never done a "middle" before, but I'm only doing it this time because I'm kind of in a pickle. On goodreads I gave F*ck Love by Tarryn Fisher and Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick the same 3 star rating, but the issue is I don't feel the same about them. Hopefully that makes sense. I actually really enjoyed reading FL but by the end I was just ready for it to be over. I was left feeling like something was missing. When it came to FMLP I had the opposite issue. I didn't enjoy reading it at all, but gave it the rating it got because the message behind the store is so strong and was presented so well. I think if I would have read it in middle or high school I would have appreciated it more.

Fails: Replica by Lauren Oliver. I was so bored reading this book. If you haven't heard about this book it actually really unique. You can either read it one way, or flip it over and read it that way, or alternate chapters. I decided to alternate chapters. Then I started feeling like reading this book became too much work and I think it ended up taking away from my reading experience. So half way through each side I just gave up. Also felt like it was a story that I've read far too many times before.

That's it. That's all I read in the month of August. If by some freak chance I finish anything else before the end of the month I just slap it only Septembers list.

Currently Reading: And I Darken by Kiersten White.
September TBR: Harley Quinn's Little Black Book issue 5 (?), Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler, Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas, Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen, Y: The Last Man Volumes 2 & 3, Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo, and Gold by KA Linde (might do Off the Record instead). Ambition TBR I know, especially since my reading has been so slow. That and since EOS is like a billion pages long I might not even be able to get to everything. I know for sure I'll be doing EOS and Crooked Kingdoms.

-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment