Sunday, February 22, 2015

Revisit a book: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was by accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. The world is in shambles and no one has time to worry about the 17 year old girl. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war and The Reestablishment has changed its mind about her... Maybe Juliette is more than an untouchable body. They're seeing her with new eyes, and seeing her as a weapon.

Leah and I decided around the end of last year that we were going to try to do this thing where we go back and read books that we loved and see if we still feel the same way about them after so much time. I figured since I'm currently waiting on a book shipment this would be the perfect time to pick up an oldie. Decided my first one this year would be Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. I've seen this book popping up here and there again, and a lot on insta lately. Shatter Me is a book I read end of 2013 begging of 2014 (give or take some time). After reading it I gave it a five star rating and threw it on my all time favorites shelf. I wont lie either after all this time and after you finish a series, all the books involved in it kind of run together. So I remembered what happened in the series but couldn't remember what happened in which book.

So after all this time do I still love it? Do I still feel the same about it? Is it still one of my all time favorites? 

The answer too those question is YES. 

I looked up my old review for this book one goodreads and re read it to jog my memory... and decided that I'm going to post the review that I wrote for that and put a few alterations in it. Because there are a few minor things I need to add...

Breathtaking, wonderful, and stunning.... I could use any of those words to describe this series but they would all be understatement. Mafi's writing is beyond refreshing and unique. It's something so hard to describe or even put into words, and I know that my review wont do it true justice.

I found myself drowning in her words and not wanting to come up for air. I wanted the waves of her writing to crash over me and pull me further and further out. I'm pretty sure I held my breath the whole time I was reading this series (which might I add at the time I finished in less than two days).  Never has a writer made me fall so in love with characters and made me feel like whatever happened to them was happening to me. Her characters will steal your heart and soul. Juliette will make you feel empowered and brave. Adam will make you remember what love feels like. Warner will show you everything you secretly want and OH BOY WILL YOU WANT IT, and Kenji will be the friend you've always wanted.

The characters are truly on a level all their own. We all know it's one thing to fall in love with a character(s) but it's a whole other thing to fall in love with a writing style. Mafi's writing had me head over heels. Every single sentence could be quoted. It's one lyrical and poetic verse after another.

“My body is a carnivorous flower, a poisonous houseplant, a loaded gun with a million triggers and he's more than ready to fire.”   

I could go on for days... weeks... no years about this book. I would go so into detail and fine tooth comb and break down every chapter if I could, but I wont because I would never want to tarnish, or give out any details to someone who hasn't had the chance to read this masterpiece, because that's what this series is. It's the Mona Lisa of ya novels. A slight mysterious smile that you can't turn away from. It makes you want to scream out loud and kiss Tahereh's forehead and thank her for writing something so on point. so on point. I could read this book again and again with no shame. The plot never slows down, the sub characters will sweep you are your feet, and the "OMG" moments are always short of small. The only thing I really need to change from my original review is I remember more of an OMG moment at the ending, and I don't fully remember why I freaked out as much as I did. It doesn't really end on a cliffhanger, but even that being said I am still completely in love with how it did end.

I could seriously keep going, but I'll spare you the novel of a review I could write and leave you with this.....
You know how you meet someone with such passion for what they do and all you can think is "wow, this person was born to do this" well Tahereh Mafi was meant to be a writer, and I'm SO very thankful that she is! Thanks for the permanent goose bumps, tears, laughs, and never ending book hang over that you have rewarded me with. I am forever in your debt. Even after a year plus you  made me fall in love all over again. So, I'm pretty sure at this point in time I don't really need to say if I still did or didn't love this novel...

10/10 Stars
-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment