Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Glittering Court by Richelle Meads

"For a select group of girls, the Glittering Court offers a shot at a life they’ve only ever dreamed of, one of luxury, glamour, and leisure. To high-born Adelaide, whose wealthy family is forcing her into a loveless marriage, the Glittering Court represents something else: the chance to chart her own destiny, and adventure in an unspoiled, prosperous new land across the sea." -Goodreads Synopsis

The Glittering Court to this reader, was boring. All Mead does is talk about dances, and outfits, and parading around to find a husband. That statement right there should tell you that this book wasn’t going to be for me. The Glitter Court is about a high society lady who steals the identity of her maid and becomes Adelaide. Adelaide is one of the chosen ones who will be taken to the New World. Adelaide of course is a special snowflake and gets tons of male attention. She is however more interested in Cedric. Though Adelaide has some pretty comical moments while pretending to be who she is not I ultimately found myself wanting more out of her character. I like my women a little more badass and a little less dress obsessed. The Countess is bored with her life and decides after being told she’ll have an arranged marriage that she will take the place of her maid at the Glitter Court… so she can be taught how to be a proper lady and be more appealing to men… so they can bid on who they want to be their next trophy wife…. So I was a little confused as to why she wanted to go??? You wanna leave arranged marriage to go and be set up for another marriage?? 

This book is also being marketed as a “fantasy”; it is not. Also where the story lacks any depth Mead tries to cover it up with more romance. I was expecting a book that has a kickass protagonist set in a high fantasy world…. Because that what the blurb lead me to believe… no what I got was a watery romance set in the 1800s with no world building. Mead introduces us to all these themes like objectifying women and religious persecution but then never deals with them. AND THAT ENDING…. Ha the ending is my biggest negative. The two main characters have gotten themselves into so big trouble and an unknown character that has NEVER been mentions comes to save the day by giving some bizarre loophole that gets them off the hook. Oh please GTFOOH


This clearly isn't as lengthy or as in depth as my usual reviews, but I didn't feel like wasting anymore time on this book than I already had.

1/10 Stars
-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment