Saturday, October 15, 2016

Fall Favorites

I have so much to talk about this season!!! Like always it's still as hot as all get out here, but hopefully cooler weather will get here eventually. I was in a bit of a reading slump, and in a TV binge these past few month. I wont beat around the bust and I'll just get right into things.

Fall Reads
The Force of Gravity by Kelly Stevenson- Kaley is living the teenage dream: perfect grades, perfect
boyfriend, perfect friends. Her world gets shaken when she starts to fall for her new chemistry teacher. I think this forbidden romance would be perfect for a winter read. Had such a good time reading this book, and would say if  you've liked books like this in the past than this one will probably be the same.
A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin- The 5th book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. You all know what Game of Thrones is about by now, and if you don't what rock have you been living under?! In this book we still wait to see who will take the iron throne. This series continues to blow my mind, and I find myself in a constant state of theory guessing on how things will end.
Vicious by VE Schwab- Two college friends figure out that under the right circumstances you can get extraordinary powers. This book need to become a movie! It might have the look of a YA book, but reads as a new adult without the smut (labeled as adult). Vicious did dipping into the grey area of what is right and what is wrong so well. I loved everything about this book and think it's perfect for anyone.
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas- The 5th book in the Throne of Glass series. Celaena Sardothien is still fighting to take back her lands and claim what is rightfully hers. This series is giving me life! I can't wait a year for the 6th and final book. If there is something you want out of a fantasy read you're sure to get it from this series. Also, that ending. Good lord! That ending.

Movies
The Fundamentals of Caring- A man suffering a great amount of loss enrolls into a care-giving
class. There he meets Trevor. I'd never (really) heard of Craig Roberts before, but he knocks playing the roll of sarcastic a-hole perfectly. This is another hit for Netflix.
The Legend of Tarzan- Events that take place after Tarzan is no longer in the jungle. Seems like I'm the only one in the world who liked this movie, but I don't care! I can't wait to re-watch this dark epilogue to the classic Tarzan again when it comes out.
Captain Fantastic- A father devoted to raising his six kids with a rigorous physical and intellectual education is forced to leave the wilderness and enter the world after his wife dies. Lindsey and I went to see this kind of on a whim, and boy was it a good idea! I really like George McKay and getting to see him again in another indie movie was a joy for me. I've said on several occasion how underrated I truly think he is. Please pick this movie up when it comes out. It's funny, witty, moving, and filled with actors I think we should all be looking out for. Doesn't hurt that the soundtrack is great either.
War Dogs- Two men weasel and figure out a way to win over a government weapons contract. I love any and everything based off a true story, so deciding to see this was grand for me. I wont lie, I don't think this movie is going to be for everyone, but it was the movie for me.
Amanda Knox- This documentary covers the Amanda Knox trail and events that took place before,
during, and after the case. This movie was barely released in time to make my list, but the moment I saw this was being made into a documentary to come out on Netflix I knew right away that it was going to be good. I was right too. Everything from the powerful introduction from Amanda, to the incredible ending quote, this doc was done right. Everything is laid out for us in a way that is so easy to follow, the events aren't over-shadowed by one thing, and the fact that we really finally and truly get to see things from Amanda's point of view was done masterfully. The whole tone of this movie is perfect. As someone who followed this case closely when it happened there was so much in this film that I had no clue had happened. Highly recommend this film to anyone who loves true crime.

TV Shows
The Returned season 1- In a small town several people have just shown back up after being dead. They haven't aged and have no idea that they have even been gone. Again, something else that is right up my alley. I'm am dying to see if this show ends up having another season! There are so many unanswered questions! Sadly, the chances of another season aren't looking too good at this point in time. If you're a fan of shows with multiple and intertwining storylines this will be for you.
Hemlock Grove season 1- In a town full of people keeping secrets a girl is murdered. I know that is
the worst synopsis ever, but seriously after watching an entire season and a half I still have no freaking clue what I witnessed... but God was it addictive. Also very visually stunning, and I'm not just talking about Bill Skarsgard.
Game of Thrones season 7- Several families battle it out for the Iron Throne. If you haven't started watching this show you're an idiot (see book list above). That's not a statement it's a fact. This season... Holy mother of pearl; it was simply perfect! I've watched the last two episodes of the season probably seven times now. Best two plus hours of TV I've witnessed in forever.
Shameless season 4- A poor family in Detroit continues to be poor and struggling. Shameless is hands down one of my all time favorite TV shows. The characters are hilarious, the plot line is insane, and it does this all while making you laugh the whole time. I wish I was also putting season 5 on this list, but sadly it dipped a little bit.
Pretty Little Liars 3-6- A group of girl's friend is killed, and someone is haunting them with it. This is a show I can't stand watching, but I'm in so deep now the only thing I can do is continue swimming down. This show continues to keep it's hooks in me. I need Netflix to upload the next season already. Seriously though, who the F really is A?!
Friday night lights seasons 1-5- Following a football team and it's staff in a small town in Texas  that is obsessed with the game. Yall... yall... How has no one ever told me about this show! Now that I have done the ultimate binge of this show I see people talking about it all the time. This show is one of the best things I've ever watched. Not just that, but it has one of the most stratifying endings to any TV show I've ever seen. If you've never seen this or even really heard of it I would recommend doing as I did and marathoning it on Netflix before its gone.
Parenthood season 3- A show following a family and their families. Showing their struggles and growth as a unit. I never thought this show would be something I was into, but the further I got into the show the more I liked it. It's message is so powerful and real. This is such an accurate portray of how real life goes. Season three though is the one that got me. I think I cried every single episode of it.
Broadchurch season 1-2- A small town is shaken by the murder of a young boy. This show had me hooked! I had to know who did it. The twist, turns, and acting will pull you in, but the not knowing will keep you there. Pumped for season three.
Atlanta- Two cousins, with very different views on the world, work their way up through the Atlanta rap scene. This is something I usually don't do. I usually don't post a show on my list unless I have watched a complete season. This show however, only has a few episodes out. I refuse to let that keep me for highlighting it. If you know me at all than you know I love Donald Glover. LOVE HIM! So that's why I wanted to start the show, and with his presence I knew there would be a lot of comical moment, but had no idea though how great it would be. This show is for sure going to make more of my list. Begging you to watch it.

Since I've been in a reading slump these last couple of months binge watching has been my thing (clearly)!

Music
The Girl and the Dreamcatcher- Basically anything by these two I will listen to. They are so Disney
and that might be a reason I like them even more. Their music is fun and very pop-ish. Basically good
beach music and driving in the car with the windows down jams.
Wrabel 11 Blocks- I can't stop listening to this song!! The first time I heard it it went right pasted me, and I had to give it another listen. Like really, play this song, and really listen to it. Heart-breaking while still being so catchy.
Chainsmokers Closer- Yes, I like everyone else have fallen for this song. It's a fungus and grew on me.
Superfruit, Mary Lambert, Brian Crum, and Mario Jose Rise Cover- This haunting and beautiful cover of Katy Perry's Rise will leave you breathless. The very last note too; goosebumps.

Now to talk about my two ultimate favorites and a new section.

Podcast
Serial- I obsessively listened to this every chance I got! This podcast has seasons instead of just episodes. Season one follows Adnan Syed who was arrested and convicted of  murdering his girlfriend in 1999 when he was just 17. Sarah Koenig, a reporter and journalist, goes over the details of the trial while remaining neutral to rather she believe Adnan is innocent or not. All she is doing is trying to show everyone all the evidence and uncover things that might not have been brought to life during the trial. In season two she does the same thing, but with the Bowe Bergdahl case. Which has just recently went to trial. Bowe abandoned his post, captured by the Taliban, tortured, and held captive from 2009-2014. She again presents the evidence for both sides of the story and leaves it up to you to decide. Take the time to listen to this podcast. This will change your life and view on the world.
My Favorite Murder- Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark two friends who are life long lovers of true crime basically decided to get together and talk about it! These two take a more comical approach on the topic by sitting down together and gushing about their favorite crimes. Each week they both tell a different story about crimes both solve and unsolved and go over the crazy details. All this while cracking jokes and getting real. This is not just one of my favorite podcast it just flat out one of my favorite things. I wait all week for a new one to come out. Stay sexy and don't get murdered.
Sword and Scale- Yes, if you haven't guessed it by now, I'm kind of obsessed with all things true crime. Sword and Scale takes a more professional look at true crime. Hosted by Mike Boudet, this high quality podcast is a must listen. He covers all sorts of cases both high profiles and ones that also have gone less noticed.

Alright, alright, alright. that is it for this season. See ya next, and don't forget...Winter is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment