Thursday, May 21, 2015

After by Anna Todd

Tessa is a good girl with the reliable boyfriend. She’s got direction, ambition, and has her life planned out to the minute. She’s barely moved into her freshman dorm when she runs into Hardin.

You can go ahead and judge me for reading thing, it’s okay really, I’m already judging myself for it. When I first heard of/picked up After and saw that it was originally 1direction fan-fiction I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard in my life. Then I kept seeing people post pictures and reviews on it all talking about how they are now hooked on this series. It physically hurts me to say thing, but I’m hooked too.
After is the epitome of what most would call “a guilty pleasure read”. I have never, ever hated two characters more than I hate Tessa and Hardin.

Tessa is: Whiny, stuck up, annoying, childish, pathetic, a H2ho, immature, irresponsible, vapid, shallow, and an overall turd. Tessa spends 90% of this book crying and the other 10% of the time coming up with reasons to cry again.

Hardin is: cocky, annoying, bizarre, stage five clinger, gross, immature, actually a woman, hot tempered, mental, and zero dark crazy. I have no doubt in my mind that Hardin is the girl in this relationship. Trust me when I say he is more pathetic than Tessa is.

That is just the tip of the iceberg on the things I loathe about these two. The relationship between the two is not only unhealthy but just downright awful. It’s unbalanced and almost always one sided. Their relationship is the further thing from romantic. Not only did I hate them when they were separate but I hated them more when they were together. Their relationship is way out in the deep end of the crazy pool and it was so bad I wanted to drown just trying to endure it.

As far as the plot goes, there’s not much of one. It’s just 600 pages of a rinse and repeat story line. Hardin acts like a dick, ask Tessa for one more chance, Tessa says okay, they make up for a day, and then the cycle starts all over again. No seriously, that’s the whole story, nothing else to it. Personally, I will say that I think people are a little harsh on Todd’s writing. Yes, it’s not the best, but I’ve definitely seen worse. It’s just light writing. You’re never going to have to Google something that is said, or have to set the book aside because it gets to deep, but it’s not the worst of the worst.

After lacks any and all originality, depth, and personality. But, you want to know what the worst part is? The downright dirty worst part?!.. Is that I couldn’t put this book down. It was like watching a car crash in slow motion. I wanted to look away but just couldn’t! And just when I think I’ll finally be able to shake the madness of this book off Anna Todd hit me hard with a WTF ending, that I didn’t see coming.


I hate admitting that even though I hated everything about this book, there was just something about it that kept me coming back for more.

7.5/10 Stars 
-Angela