Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Heir by Kiera Cass

"Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought."
-Goodreads synopsis 


Sigh. I'm a little disappointed in this edition to The Selection Series. I don't know what I was truly expecting when I picked this up but this wasn't it. This probably wont be one of the longest reviews, but that's because I don't have much to say. Overall I don't even feel like this edition needed to be written because it really didn't add anything that wasn't already there.

Eadlyn the heir to the throne and our leading lady, is a total bitch. I know a lot of people will say "oh well she has her reasons", but I disagree. She was malicious at times for no real reason. Being a brat doesn't make you a strong women. It takes more courage to stay delicate in a world that cruel. And yeah, I've read snotty characters before and loved them and this just wasn't the case for Eady. Her constant complaining got
to be far to much for me to ever feel a connect with her. One of the contestants even tells her shes a stubborn self-centered brat and I think he nailed it.

As far as America and Maxon, her parents and the leading characters from the first three books, too me feel completely different than how they were before. I was so excited to get even just a little taste of them in this book and was again let down. America went from this strong, amazing role model for girls to this empty shell. Same basically goes for Maxon too. Sadly both felt rather unrecognizable.

As far as her male suitors went... Again a let down. When she finally starts going on dates I thought I was about to get excited and would have a guy I could start cheering for.... and that never happens. We get so little time with them. There wasn't one I was super swooning over, or one that made my heart skip a beat. And actually a lot of them were kind of dicks. I'm more than certain that anyone who picks this book up will know who she will end up with (it can really only be between two. One is a bit predictable the other is who you'd want which again is kind of obvious). No, this isn't an open and close read it's left on a "cliff-hanger". Which I HATED! I wish I could give you even a little bit of a plot summary, but can't because there's not much of one. Basically we gets 300+ pages of Eady repeating the same sentence, stomping her feet, then caving a little here and there. If you start reading this, and then do like I did, and kept saying and waiting thinking there has to be some "WOW moment" that really makes this book complete, I'll sadly tell you that you'll be waiting forever. I wouldn't of even given this book the rating I did if it wasn't for her brother Ahren. He too me was the only highlight of this book. I loved him! I did find it was a little ridiculous that he understood what true feminism was over his sister. Found myself wishing that he was the heir and that we would have gotten the book from his sweet POV.

"You can be brave and still be feminine. You can lead and still love flowers. Most important, you can be a queen and still be a bride."

Truly let down by how this book went. It had all the potential to be great and then just drug it's feet. Hoping the next one goes balls to the wall.

3.5/10 Stars 
-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment