Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

"Travis Parker has everything a man could want: a good job, loyal friends, even a waterfront home in small-town North Carolina. In full pursuit of the good life - boating, swimming , and regular barbecues with his good-natured buddies -- he holds the vague conviction that a serious relationship with a woman would only cramp his style. That is, until Gabby Holland moves in next door."-Goodreads synopsis

This isn't going to be the longest review, but it will be a ranting one. Just going to jump right in...

The characters in this book are ridiculous! First Gabby. One word- Annoying! She got on my last nerve. This is going to sound insane, but she thought way to much. The first half of this book is her just thinking... but it's about nothing at all. She just goes on and on and on about any and everything!!!! Then on top of her babbling she was obsessed with making it crystal clear that she had a boyfriend.

Hey having a party at my house would you like to come- I have a boyfriend. Hi how are you- I have a boyfriend... What time is it- I have a boyfriend.... What color is the sky- I have a boyfriend.

WE GET IT!!!! YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND! WE GET IT, TRAVIS GETS IT, HIS FRIENDS GET IT, PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD OF THIS BOOK GET IT! Shut the F up about how you have a boyfriend! NO ONE ASKED!

She's also absent minded, jumps to assumptions, and takes her anger out on everyone.... Oh wait there's more... she's needy, whiny, and way too attached to the male characters in this book. Everything she did uggggggggggh drove me insane. Then we have Travis. Travis is perfect. And yeah this is a problem. He is able to do everything, and I'm just not ok with this. Cook, clean, entertain children, ride motorcycles, you name it he does it. I like my characters with flaws and he legit has none. Oh and boy does he ooze of charm. That's another thing! HE IS TOO CHARMING!!!! Yeah, I'll give it to him, he has a few very silly cute moments. However all his perfections overshadowed all. I did prefer Travis to Gabby, but I don't really know what that says.

The relationship between the two is soooooooooo unrealistic. Mr. Sparks you have your two main characters fall in love in one weekend!!!! ONE weekend! I'm not saying that this would be impossible for an author to do what I'm saying is that you are going to have to do it up... You are going to have to pull out all the stops; stops that aren't even invented yet! Good sir, when you make a book 250 pages it's a sprint not a marathon. I'm talking that can't eat-can't sleep-reach for the stars-over the fence world series kind of magic. We don't have time for you to waste on all this pointless backstory BS. Having these characters falling in love over a weekend would mean you would have to have us fall in love with them being in love in a matter of pages... Newsflash you didn't! I DID NOT FOR ONE SINGLE SECOND BELIEVE THESE TWO COULD/DID FALL IN LOVE! I gave no Fs about these two being together.... Which leads me to the plot.

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD!

There really isn't much plot to talk about because nothing happens. 85% of this book NOTHING happens! This book puts all its eggs in the basket that is a coma. I'm sure by now you've all seen the trailers for this movie... So you know home girl gets in an accident... Which makes it very clear that the choice will be that he has to either A) pull the plug or B) not. I wont tell you what he chooses to do, but I really don't have to. You will know! Every part of the ending is PRE-DICT-ABLE! Oh and when the big reveal happened I WAS SO PISSED! ROYALLY PISSED! I was so annoyed by how everything went that I was praying to the book gods to just have Gabby die! Live-die, Gabby gonna be real with you I just don't care!!! Actually you know what, just die, it's cool. I was told over and over again by several people that that none of this would matter. That by the end I would still be a blubbering mess... I WASN'T!!! I did not shed a single tear. I cry in almost every book but didn't in this one! I think that really says something. I was just to busy being angry to be upset.

Nick Sparks needs to re-evaluate his writing. This is a story he has done time and time again. Wealthy white people fall in love, someone ends up in the hospital, but in the long run it all works out for them... because LOVE CONQURS ALL EVEN MODERN MEDICINE.

yeah its just a no! We are not on good terms Nick. F this book.


I  was way easier on this book than I planned on being review wise.... I toned it down, which I know in the long run I'll regret doing. Oh and If at this point you're still wondering if I'll be seeing this movie or not?!?!?!... Well you can bet your sweet buns I am. I'm actually still pretty pumped about it.

2/10 Stars
-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment