Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Vault of Dreamers: Caragh M. O'Brien

YAY my first post! (please forgive the puppy fur clinging to my sweater in this picture. Dog owner problems.)

I figured in honor of Leah and I going to the Fierce Read book tour that I would write about one of the books from it.

I finished The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien and ummm yeah; I don’t really know how I feel about it. It was interesting…. It actually makes me kind of sad to say that because I was so excited about reading it.

Anyways. Tvod is about Forge School the most prestigious arts school in country. It’s not your typical school however because every moment of the students’ lives is televised as part of the insanely popular Forge Show. The students’ schedules are really strict. They have to do twelve hours of induced sleep meant to enhance creativity, along with going to some pretty odd classes. When first year student Rosie Sinclair skips her sleeping pill, she discovers there is something off about Forge. She starts to wonder what’s really going on with the staff and what's happening in the places the cameras aren’t allowed. What’s worse is, she starts to notice that the edges of her consciousness do not feel quite right. She tries to seek help in her friend and semi boyfriend, Linus, but even starts to wonder if she can even really trust him. She starts unearthing the ghastly secrets that the Forge School is hiding and what dreaming truly means there. Sounds amaze right? Cute boys, mystery, and reality TV; sigh all ya girls favorites things.

This story however kind of let me down. I didn’t love the book but I was in love with the concept that it had. This book really didn’t make me feel much of anything. The characters are just okay. Rosie seems like she might be a super strong character later on maybe in book two or three but right now she’s just kind of so/so. Linus seems really adorable, cute, and probably the most likable character in the story, but really that’s about as much as I can say about them. I didn’t really have a special bond or connection with either of them. Come to think of it I don’t really feel like I knew any of the characters. The “twist” at the end was rather predictable for the most part. I will say the little bit of romance that was sprinkled here and there was cute, but nothing to write home about. I also wish the characters (well Rosie) was older. In the story she is fifteen and Linus is seventeen. I wish they were both seventeen because the thought of people watching a fifteen year old dressing REALLY freaks me out (barf).

 This story was lacking some major pazzle. At the end I felt like nothing at all had happened. The ending was also a little confusing and felt crammed along with rushed. This book got a little maze on me and I found myself a tiny bit lost. I mean I guess I got what was happening but at the same time had no idea what was going on (hopefully that makes sense). I would overall say the cover of this book is lovely, the writing style is okay, the concept is swell, but the book fell short in the parts that mattered the most. I would give this book  

4.5/10 stars 

-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment