Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Diamonds by K.A. Linde

"He’s at least ten years older than her seventeen years, and he knows exactly what he’s doing to her with that look.
Walking away would be the smart thing to do…

But she can’t. Not that first night when he takes her home and claims her body. Not when he shows up in her life again with expensive gifts to win her trust. Not even when she’s falling for him, and everything else is falling apart…"


It's pretty clear even from the tiny description why I picked this book up. I haven't had a pleasure of reading a K. A. Linde book before, and let me breakdown the reason why I'm on the fence about it I want too again or not... 

In Diamonds we follow the story of Bri, seventeen year old high-school student, cheer-leading captain, with the movie star boyfriend. Gonna tell you right off the bat that Bri drove me insane for mmmmmmm, 95% of the book. She has a few minor flaws and one really big one. She is SO full of herself. SO FULL. I know for a fact that if she went to school with me someone at some point would have dumped a plate of food on her head. Being full of herself also means she treats everyone in her life like trash. Most of the time it's for no reason at all besides the fact that she wants to. By the end of the book I did start too warm up to her a little, but just barely. Bri also insist that since her family is rich that she is not a gold digger... Personally, I beg to differ. 


Bri without a doubt likes the finer things in life. I know if a man I recently started seeing was giving me gifts like Tiffany necklaces, no matter what he's social stand was, I wouldn't be able to accept them (Ok, ok that last statement might be a lie, idk, sadly this has never been a problem for me before). Bri however is like "Oh Tiffany's! This is too much... *blush* but I deserve it". Seriously Bri... Don't be a dick. I'm only giving her that 5% because of what her personality was like when she was with Jude. Not when he was buying her gifts or spoiling her; just when they are talking one on one. She is not a leading lady that will be one you can easily relate too, if you even can at all. That statement isn't even necessarily a negative. I don't think all characters have to be ones you can relate to. I was waiting for the moment when we would discover so deep dark secret that would explain why she was such a brat... but it never happened. This all brings me to Jude. Our very mysterious, rather wealthy, leading male. Even though he is both very much present while being very much not, I still really enjoyed his character. He had me wanting this book to be 100 pages more just so we could get more time with him. Linde has him sounding all sorts of babely as well (and we all know that never hurts). All that being said the characters both sadly felt a little flat for me. Their relationship was also my biggest issue with the book. Don't get me wrong when I say this, I really enjoyed it, but I just didn't fully believe it. I didn't believe they were madly in love, that they could even get away with this type of relationship, or that they got away with a few of the events that happened. I had a lot of trouble also believing their attitudes towards things, and struggled to understand besides the obvious reason (sex) why the two even had a connection. 

As far as the storyline goes the book takes off right away with no need for any real build up (this was a plus in my opinion). At the beginning the two meet at a nightclub, instantly go straight into a relationship, and we 
get a lot of straight away smut. The middle of the book is filled with random stolen moments, a few huhs?, and a handful of sexual encounters. I felt like there were a lot of strong scenes but all were ultimately throw together. This kept the story from flowing as smoothly as it could have. Again I feel like maybe with 100 more pages we would have gotten more out of both the characters and the plot. 

At this point in time you're probably questioning my rating... Well that's and easy question to answer: First the story is very entertaining and had me wanting desperately to know how it would all end. And second is the twist ending. I thought with how the story was playing out, and with a few of the secondary characters that I had the big twist figure out... I was wrong and was happy too be so. Because let's be real; you know at some point in time both their secrets will come out... But I loved! how they were both revealed. Overall Diamonds was a fun, entertaining, and quick read that made for an excellent filler book. It's a book that I fell you with either love or flat out hate. 

So, will I be continuing with the All That Gillters Series??? More than likely, yes. I'm hoping that with the rest of the series we will get a few loose ends wrapped up and unanswered questions resolved. Also praying for some massive character development, because this series has major potential.


8/10 Stars 
-Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment