Sunday, September 20, 2015

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

Madeline is suffer from a rare disease. Forced to stay indoors everyday she has come to terms with how her life will be. Until one day she hears a moving truck next door and see a boy and his family moving in. 

"Maybe we can't predict everything, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly... It's almost certainly going to be a disaster."

Can we first just talk about this cover??? Amazing right?! Stunning. It fits the story so well.

Everything Everything is a novel about a girl named Madeline who is suffering from SCID... or as I knew it "bubble boy syndrome". Madeline has spent the last 18 years trapped inside her house. The only people she comes in contact with are her nurse Carla and her mother. That is until Olly moves in next door. Madeline is a very sweet lead. Also loved how diverse she is. She is a combination of Asian and African American, this set her apart from other YA characters right off the bat and was a huge plus for me. The other thing is her kind heart. I've read characters before who are caring, kind, and sweet but something about how Yoon presents Maddy's traits made it something special. She is a lead that you will easily be able to fall for. She was a lead that I thought I would mainly just sympathy for, but Yoon has this way of just making you more hopefully for her than anything else.

Then we have Olly the adorable boy next door. He is another character that you will have no trouble liking. I did want a little more out of him, but overall happy with what he gives us. My favorite part of the whole book is with him and his mother bundt cake... So cute I found myself blushing the whole scene. Olly is charming, funny, and I think he seems his age. You might be a little confused about what I just said so I'll sum it up real quick... You know how in other "sick lit" such a TFIOS a lot of people's issues with Hazel and Gus is that they speak so mature for their age and it's off putting for a few. Some get that it's because they are dealing with a more adult issue of realizing that they are going to die way before their time but some still think they seem a little too mature... So if you didn't like TFIOS for that reason Everything Everything might be more up your alley. Both Olly and Maddy feel, talk, and act more their age. Their relationship can be summed up in one word: Sweet. It's so so sweet. The fact that neither of them is put of by the others life situations is so endearing. You will be cheering for these two and without a doubt you'll want to see them end up together with a happy ever after.


Everything Everything's plot is pretty steady through out. But not gonna lie, the plot was actually my "biggest" issue with this novel. The story is predictable. There was never a time when I didn't know what was going to happen next. As soon as Olly is introduced I was like "well... I know exactly where this story is headed". Sure enough I was waiting around for some kind of big surprise twist that I never ended up getting. So why the higher rating? Well because all of the adorable and perfectly placed extras. Yoon gives of these cute little sidenotes, little letters, poems and more. They're just wonderful and wiped away any "errors" I might have felt the plot had. And even with me saying that the book was predictable I really did enough the story.

"Spoiler alert: Love is worth everything. Everything."

I am not a contemporary fan... in fact it is my least favorite genre so liking this book was kind of a big deal for me. Everything Everything is the prefect quick sweet summer read. Very happy to see this become a movie.

7.5/10 Stars 
-Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment