Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Captive by Aimee Carter

Captive by Aimee Carter

For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister's niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancĂ© cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark. With all this happening she is also accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can escape and people are hunted by the wealthy. Kitty is learning the hard way that she can't trust anyone. 

I waited for this book for what seemed like forever, and I feel a little more than let down. The cover is just as lovely as the first (and has the same stunning surprise when the duster is removed), but the book is close to half the size of Pawn.

Like the first book Captive kept a steady pace through out the course of the novel, but sadly I think it suffered a small case of second book syndrome. People kept saying they didn't see some events happening but I did.  

I really loved kitty's spark and fireball personality in the first book and in this one she kind of fizzled out. Also it always seemed like she was purposely doing things to get others killed. I want to like Kitty, I really do and I'm hoping when the third book comes out she wins me over again. Sadly Kitty isn't the only one I'm not a fan of..... Benjy. I almost always go for the underdog or the best friend love interest, in his case I just don't care if he dies or not. I'm still, not so secretly, pulling for Knox. I mean with a name like Lennox Creed you sound like a total badass. With that being said Knox became pretty confusing in this book and my love for him also kind of burned out as well (yes a lot of flames were put out in this book). I just didn't understand most of his motives. Kitty is constantly questioning Knox (with good reason), but we never really get the answers we crave. Plus I don't remember Kitty and Knox hating each other this much in Pawn.

Though the plot was fast-ish paced and kept a nice flow I just felt like something was missing. I didn't get something I wanted.  Elsewhere was a lot more brutal than I thought it was going to be which made for a nice surprise and did give this story a little bit of an edge. When I was reading Captive I felt like it was a book I had already read before. Just nothing too new was brought to the table. There was just a lot of issues and "what the's" in this book.  

I will say I really enjoyed the ending of this book, but that's about it. It has it set up nicely for book three. So I will be continuing this series in hopes that book three blows Pawn and Captive out the water. (Fingers-Crossed!!) 


5.5/6-10 stars
-Angela

2 comments:

  1. Shame this wasn't such a hit for you but I'm thinking about checking it out :)

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/christmaswinter-recommendations.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first one... this one just didn't live up

    ReplyDelete