Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Naughty or Nice... 2 for 1 book review

I read two books involving the Christmas Holiday. Both books also involved bad boys.

Wait for You by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Traveling thousands of miles from home to college is the only way 19 year-old Avery Morgansten can escape what happened at the Halloween party five years ago. All she needs to do is make sure the bracelet on her left wrist stays in place, not draw any attention to herself, and maybe become a little more social. The one thing she didn’t need was to capture the attention of the one guy who could shatter the precarious future she’s building for herself. Cameron Hamilton has a secret past of his own and the determination Avery wasn't prepared to face. 

Clearly I love Jlynn books. I read at least two a month, so I decided that I would start her Wait for You series. Yup again she goes with a old school romance novel covers in good ole Jla fashion... Avery and Cam are our main characters. Avery is young, naive, and running from her past. I usually really love female characters Jla writes, but in this book Avery was just okay. I get that her past has broken her, but sometime all her lying was just dragged out. I felt it took way too long for it to be unfolded. In my opinion was just a little too much sometimes. 

Cameron however was a nice change of pace from the guys I'm use to reading from Jla. If you've read anything by her then you know that she usually writes about guys who are kind of jerk-ish then turn sweet. Cameron might be cocky but he was sweet from the start. He was also witty and charming. I really liked his character. Avery was just so/so, Cameron was spot on. I just wanted to shake her a lot and tell her to stop being so dumb!  I absolutely loved that it wasn't insta love with them. That it did start with a friendship and then became more. Reading Cameron ask Avery out over and over again was hilarious. The plot was set at a smooth pace, but the twist were a little predictable. No real shocker moment. However, since I liked Cameron so much he makes it on my nice list. The ending was sweet but still was just okay. I don't usually buy Contemporary books, and when I do I don't usually like them... I did like Wait for You I just didn't love it. It would rank higher on my list of Contemporary books I like. This was a sweet and nice December read, but sadly wasn't my favorite book by her. 

7/10 Nice Guy Stars 

Fever by Maya Banks

Jace and Ash share everything... including their women. When they meet Bethany, Jace begins to feel things he’s never experienced before: jealousy, and a powerful obsession that threatens him. Jace isn’t sharing Bethany; with anyone. He’s determined to be the only man in her life, even if it might jeopardize his lifelong friendship with Ash. Bethany will be his and his alone. Even if it means turning his back on his best friend. 
  
Maya Banks is an author I've recently started getting into. It was mainly because she has some of the most beautifully simple book covers. Absolutely love them. A few weeks ago I read and reviewed the first book in this series, Rush. I preferred Fever to Rush. Fever was a lot less 50 shades. But like Wait for You I preferred the male leading character in this book to the female. The leading characters in Fever are Bethany and Jace. In book one I thought I didn't really love Mia but now being able to compare her another fem (Bethany) I realized I liked her a lot more than I originally thought. Yes, Bethany is sweet even with her dirty past... but I just didn't like her. She was too whiny for my taste. She was another women I wanted to shake and ask her "WHAT THE EFF IS WRONG WITH YOU".  Jace however was a character I liked in book one, and knew I would like in book two. I enjoyed finally getting to hear how he thought. Even with how overprotective and needy he is, I really enjoyed him. This book wasn't nearly as scandalous as the first. The action does start right away... Like right away though! The book was more realistic than the first in it over all aspect.

This book was fast paced the entire time, but much like the first it had one moment in it that I just hated. It was mainly the times between Bethany's brother Jack and with Jace... I just don't think any of it would happen. I thought the whole book was super strong until the very end, because of those scenes with Jack. I didn't love the ending of Fever as much as I loved the ending of Rush, because I LOVED the ending to Rush
I will be continuing this series and will definitely be buying more books by Banks in the future. 

8.5/10 Naughty Stars  


Angela  

No comments:

Post a Comment