Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Ugly Love: Colleen Hoover

Ugly Love: Colleen Hoover 

When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, in a drunken blaze of glory, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. But that doesn't stop them from being attracted to one another. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for it, so that just leaves the sex. This arrangement could really work out for the both of them, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her: Never ask about the past and don’t expect a future.
They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all. So where will this leave them..?


HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER!!!! MY HEART IS SO PERFECTLY BROKEN! I DON'T THINK I TOOK A BREATH THE WHOLE TIME I READ THIS BOOK! WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME COLLEEN HOOVER!!! I HATE YOU BUT I LOVE YOU! YOU RUINED ME AND I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH! 

IF YOU CAN'T GUESS IT BY MY NON STOP CAPS THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO THAN SCREAM "I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!". 

WOW JUST WOW! I DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHEN I'LL GET OVER THIS BOOK HANGOVER.




Ugly Love was nothing like I expected it to be. I excepted it too be like a 50 Shades of Grey fan fiction with just a butt ton of thrown together steamy scenes... No, it wasn't it was so much more. I knew I was going to like Miles (because he sounded so hot), but I had no idea that I was going to love him. That he was going to have an actual back story... That he was going to be actually interesting in a realistic way... I had no idea he was going to break my heart.

All that being said I have a few bookish confessions to make before I really get into the review, I choose to read this book 1) because I heard it was becoming a movie and if there's anything I love nearly as much as reading it's seeing movies 2) because this is who they have playing Miles:


Yeah I didn't notice the dog at first either...



and 3) I also need to admit that I didn't get what was so appealing about this book that it was actually going to become a movie... I get it now. I get all the hype and talk surrounding this book. I have NEVER, EVER, EVER cried so hard in a book. That's the very last thing I thought this book was going to make me do.

The characters in this book felt so real. Tate was naive and normally that would make me wanna punch a B, in her case it made me love her. Unlike most leading ladies she isn't overly sassy, or has incredible lol rebuttals, she was realistic. Her brother Corbin, OMG CORBIN, I loved every single thing about him. He has to be one of my favorite sub characters ever. He was what I imagined a brother would be and even with him not being a constant character just his presence had me. Then there's Miles and he is hands-down the star of this book. The moment you meet him you hate him. He is a mysterious mess and I thought he was going to annoy me fast. He won me over once they started going into his back story. The further they went into it the more I could feel what was coming... Yes, I knew where this story was going and what was going to happen but in no way, shape, or form was I actually prepared for it. I was a blubbering weeping ball of emotions.

The switch between time and POVs was done flawlessly and revealed the perfect information at the perfect time to keep you hooked and wanting more. Colleen set up this story so at first you would only like Miles because of his looks (which I've already made clear I was guilty of)...

"his shirt isn't buttoned. I'm staring at his stomach. Oh my word he has the V. Those beautiful indentations on men that run the length of their outer abdominal muscles, disappearing beneath their jeans as if the indentations are pointing to a secret bull's-eye."

And yes, he is a looker, but by the end I could have cared less about what he looked like. He could have worn a bag over his abs for the last half of the book and my heart would have still been his. The relationship between Tate and Miles is like nothing I have read before. It was something else that really surprised me about this book. Saying it was complicated would be an understatement. I thought that the steamy scenes were going to take up most of this book, but it didn't... Normally that would be something that would make me rank a book lower, but the scenes were so well written and again realistic. They were well placed and well thought out. Just enough to make this book not "too much" which is what had me falling hard for this read, way harder than I anticipated. The scenes are hot though like dump a bucket of water on your head hot. Miles and Tate's conversations roll so smoothly and the moments between them are so; I don't even know a word for them, they're just perfect (that word really doesn't do justice). Not only is he romantic but he made average things so hot.

Orange juice is hot, rugs are hot, scrubs are hot, and curtains are so so hot. whoosh. 

Honestly though the scenes that turned out to be my favorite were just "average scenes", like when they all go and visit Tate and Corbin's family for Thanksgiving. That whole section had to of been my favorite. I loved how I thought this story was going to be Tate's but turned out to be Miles'. I love how I thought this book was going to be a light sexy read but turned out to be a heartbreaking love story. I just loved how everything came together while falling apart.. Because when all Miles story is finally shown and is laid out in it's fullest I was basically like this...


I want to rant and rave even more about this book, but this is something you really need to read and experience for yourself. Ugly Love might just be the biggest surprise read I've had all year. I can't express enough how impressive the characters, plot, and play out of this story are. I didn't think that this book was going to be so hard on me... And yes, it hurt. And yes, it was a total sobbing fest, but that ending... Good golly miss molly.. That ending was perfection. I don't know if I can ever forgive Colleen Hoover for what she did to me, but God dang it I love her so much for it. I didn't see this coming and I've never been so happy to be emotionally slapped in the face like I was reading this.  
THANK YOU COLLEEN HOOVER! You gave me a book hangover that even the strongest ibuprofen couldn't cure.
*please give her a round of applause people* 

10/10 Stars 
-Angela 

4 comments:

  1. This isn't the kind of book I'd usually read but with all the attention it's getting I can't help but be intrigued, great review!

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/december-plans.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was so so about reading this but I couldn't be happier I did. I didnt think this book was what it was

      Delete
  2. I'm notoriously stingy with my 5-star ratings. Those are only for books that truly moved me, that I was completely connected to, that become instant all-time favorites. So 5-star ratings for me are few and far between. I've had exactly two this year. And, not coincidentally, both were for Colleen Hoover novels. Maybe Someday and Ugly Love. I so agree with your review. Ugly Love was just phenomenal and it was very much Miles's story. And totally heartbreaking. I just loved him more and more. By the end it was totally ugly crying... well, ugly sobbing. And that epilogue! CoHo is just the queen of All the Feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously thought it was something completely different than what it was. I even read a few reviews before purchasing it and still only had a few ideas about what it was about. I was a puddle on the floor! Seriously a hot mess! I can't wait to read maybe someday now.

      Delete