Friday, January 9, 2015

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother in jail.
Since then, she had been off. Barely making ends meet or even getting out of bed. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced that Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard that night Ben's? Was Ben even capable of murder? As she uncovers the truth she's been avoiding her whole life she begins to realize that everyone in her family had something to hide that day... especially Ben. But that being said...


Who did massacre the Day family?

Holy Balls! This book had my emotions all over the place. Dark Places is just that... Dark. And much like Gone Girl this book had so much mystery in it. Gillian Flynn has this creepy amazing way of writing creepy and amazing stories. Dark Places had me hooked from page one. The way she had the main character Libby talk was in itself something worth reading. Gillian basically tortures readers for 350 pages just a FYI! 
 
Dark Places is one of those books that is so hard to write a review on without giving anything away... I think the best way to describe this book is by comparing it to Clue the board game... You know all the players involved, you know all the settings, and you know all the weapons. You are given little clues here and there and you have your little card to check off what you think... The Who, What, When, Where, and even the Why. Gillian give you pieces of a whole, much like the game. Sometimes she reveals that it was the candlestick, and sometimes your shown its professor plum. But you still have no idea what the real answer is until you're so close to the end of the game that you finally are begging to open that little envelope and see what the final answer is.... That's exactly how Dark Places was. I spent 99% of the time coming up with all these crazy theories... 

All I can say is that every single one of my theories were both right and wrong at the same time. Gillian plays out the novel in such an amazing way. Bouncing from the present to the past, and never letting on more than she needed too. I hate when books do this too, not in the case of Dark Places. I was craving the flashbacks I needed them. I wanted to know more about their mother, and father, and Ben. God did I want to know what was up with him! And like I said above, Libby was AMAZING! Such a well written and confusingly like-able character. You really don't want to like her but at the same time you're kind of cheering her on. But Libby isn't just a victim, she has plenty of dark secrets and mystery to her as the next person in her family.

“There are few phrases that annoy me more than I won't bite. The only line that pisses me off faster is when some drunk, ham-faced dude in a bar sees me trying to get past him and barks: Smile, it can't be that bad! Yeah, actually, it can, jackwad.” 

The only thing that kept this book from being a perfect ten star book for me was some of the ending. It got a little jumbled to the end, but that being said was still completely mind blowing. When the big reveal happens you'll more than likely have your jaw dragging on the floor like I did. Dark Places was amazing.


I can't wait to see this movie in theaters! If you haven't had a chance to read this book please do so before the movie comes out! I know Leah and I will be there opening day clinging to the edge of our seats!

9.5/10 Stars 
-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment