Monday, January 26, 2015

Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Sarah O’Brien is alive because of the pact she and her brother made twelve years ago. James will protect her from their violent father and their absent mother if she promises to never leave him. This has worked for them forever... Until her brother seeks more than a sister. Sam Donavon has been James’ best friend their whole lives. Now he is Sarah's boyfriend. Keeping their relationship a secret might be the thing that finally  breaks James. 

I picked up Flawed because I'd never heard it brought up without Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma being brought up after. Forbidden is one of my all time favorite books, so I knew I had to pick it up. I get why they are being constantly compared, but truth be told they have very little in common. If I would have read Flawed first I would have liked it more. That being said I still really enjoyed it. 


The back story between Sarah and James is dark and Kate leaves no detail unsaid. And I loved how dark it got. Her mom is practically comatose, and her father is an former boxer turned abusive alcoholic. The only person she can count on is James.The relationship between them starts off so sweet. A bond that many would love to have with a sibling. But then their relationship turns too something wrong and sour. Sarah's character is weak and throughout the story is trying to find legs to stand on. She's trying to figure out who she is. James character goes from a strong leading male to a weak breaking human. Seeing the two switch places made for an interesting read. Then there's Sam. WHOOSH swoon worthy Sam. The moment he is introduced was the moment I fell for him. Each character to me had so many thing to like about them and thing about them I disliked. But all were so well written. Sam was without a doubt my favorite thing about this book. I couldn't get enough of him. 

"I have no idea what he sees in me. Strength, he says. Beauty. A big heart. I see none of these things. I see fear, flaws and a heart so full of blackness I can't give up on my own selfish wants to set him or my brother free."

The pace of this book is steady through out, and doesn't pick up much speed until the last handful of chapters. The ending more than made up for anything the plot lacked. It was the main reason I loved this book so much. Everything went down in the most perfectly heart pounding and heart punching ending ever. If this stories first half would have been as strong as the last half I would have given this book a higher rating. I even feel having it in dual POVs might have given it a little more edge. Either way it will be a book I recommend to many in the future. If you're looking for something a little on the darker emotional side Flawed is a good fit. 




Flawed is heavily weighed on one thing and one thing only... When stuck between a rock and a hard place, what choice would you make? 

8.5/10 Stars 
-Angela 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment