Thursday, January 29, 2015

Losing It by Cora Carmack

Bliss Edwards decides the best way to deal with the problem of her virginity is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible and have a one-night stand. This plan fails when she freaks out and leaves the gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one would believe. The plan fails even harder when she finds out that the man she left is now her new theatre professor. 

Okay so I'm gonna start off by saying that I know I'm going to be in the minority here with my rating... but whatever. Losing It to me was just so/so. I read the whole book in about two hours because it is a really short and quick read, which was nice. I think my main problem with the book though was that I read it after I read Unteachable... so now every time I read a book with a girl who falls in love with her teacher I will forever be comparing it to that book. Unteachable set the bar so high that it'll be near impossible to pass. If I would have picked up this book first I probably would have given it a higher rating. 

The characters however are lovely. Bliss is realistic and believable. She going through the same hurtles anyone her age would go through. Garrick, the professor, was about the same. He sound sound super yummy and could say Sup to me in a bar anytime... BUT their insta-love was a little to much for me to get behind. I felt like there was enough time for them to be dropping L-bombs, but there was nothing behind it to support why they were actually saying it. It didn't feel like the two had any build up, or really even got to know each other before they started saying it. 

I just didn't feel the chemistry between the two of them like I was hoping. The story however does flow smoothly through out and has a great pace. The really isn't much world building (which isn't uncommon for these types of books). I like the sub characters. I like how Cora didn't do a typical class and more of a play and how that all tied the story together. 

My main problem with this book was it's predictability. Everything that happened I saw coming. I never didn't know what was going to happen. Every thing from how they met to how it ended, I knew the play out few pages before hand. The other thing that irked me was the cover of the book... This might seem silly to some but I think most book lovers can agree... I HATE when book covers have people on the front that DON'T match the description of the people in the story... I just don't get it. Like I said, maybe that's just me. 

I'm probably judging this book a little more harsh than I should, because there is no doubt that Cora Carmack  is a talented writer. I will pick up her books in the future and will more than likely like them more than this. Losing It was just in the wrong reading place at the wrong reading time for me. 



5/10 Stars 
-Angela 


No comments:

Post a Comment