Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Blue Lily, Lily Blue: Maggie Stiefvater

Blue Lily, Lily Blue: Maggie Stiefvater

Blue Sargent has found things. For the first time in her life, she has friends and is part of a group to which she feels like she belong. The Raven Boys have taken her in as one of their own. The trick with found things is how easily they can be lost. 
Her mother has disappeared. Her friends could betray her. Certainties will be unraveled. Visions will mislead. What will happen to Blue?


Blue Lily, Lily Blue is the third book in the Raven Cycle series and all I have to say is did I miss something? Is there something I skipped over??? I think everyone on my goodreads has given this five stars but I'm confused to as why!? I need someone to fill me in.

I had such high hopes for this book but sadly I was left feeling disappointed. As much as I liked the characters in the first two novels I was just kind of over them in this one. Yes Blue is still hilarious. Yes Gansey is still Adorable from a distance. Yes Adam is still annoyingly stubborn. And yes Ronan is still the character you hate to love. However besides liking the characters they brought nothing new to the table. People have told me and hyped up the relationship between Gansey and Blue, in my opinion it doesn't exist. Pretending to kiss and sometimes sneaking in hand squeezing is boring!!! Not only that it is a barely formed relationship and we're three books in. I get she can't kiss him without the chance of killing him but still do something!!! Say something romantic not just stare at each other than laugh. Adam is really annoying in this book, but I can't really explain why. He was pretty annoying in the last one but this one he just really bugged me. Ronan was probably the only one who didn't peeve me off.

I feel like they have done the exact same thing in all three books... Oh wait that's because they have. The only thing they've done is follow ley lines and chase after the king. That's it! STILL!!!!!! There's absolutely nothing else to the plot. Reading that one sentence will save you so much time and the torture of the 380 something pages.  

The plot is so/so along with any "world building". There's still just always at Blue's house or walking around caves. Blue's mom was still kidnapped and the 50 shades of Mr. Gray man are still a weird and confusing section(s) of the book along with the "surprise" intro of another character. There was nothing surprising about this book. Everything that happened is something I'm sure you'll see coming. The ending was predictable and lacked any "awww factor".

Blue Lily, Lily Blue was everything I didn't want it to be and nothing I wanted it to be. There was zero establishment of relationships, no character development, most of the interesting things happened behind the scenes, important plot info from the previous books was ignored, new and annoying characters were introduced, the plot was split in a million disorganized directions, the ending lacked all emotional drive, and there were no chapters from Ronan's perspective. Why set him up as such an important character in the first two books to do nothing with him in the third?! The chapters from Adam's perspective gave little to no insight into how he felt towards anything. Noah barely had any role in this book. Gansey and Blue were the two most highlighted characters, yet like I said absolutely nothing changed with them. I am not looking forward to book four. The only thing that I really felt was done right with this book was it's cover. Compared to the first two both the title and the art are more eye pleasing. I know that I'll be in the minority here on how I feel towards this book, but Oh well. I just didn't get it.

3 maybe 4?/10 Stars
-Angela 

4 comments:

  1. I still haven't started this series, but I look forward too. Great reviewand I'm sorry you didn't like it so much

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/top-five-friday-4-books-i-wish-to-re.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably lied a little when I said I wouldn't continue with this series. I probably will in hopes that book four can make up for two and three but I'm sadly not excited for this series anymore

      Delete
  2. Angela... you are SO where I am at with this book!!! I could not have said it any better. Somewhere it says "closed' as if this were the last. So what was the crazy black creature at the very end? VERY disappointing. I also, expected so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS BOOK!!!! how did it go wrong when it was set up to be so right!!!!

      Delete