Sunday, November 16, 2014

Fire in the Woods: Jennifer M. Eaton

Fire in the Woods: Jennifer M. Eaton

When a plane crashes in the woods near Jess’s home, the boy of her dreams literally falls right out of the sky. David needs Jess to help him avoid being taken by the military and to get back to his ship. This might be a little hard with her dad being a Major and all. As Jess finds herself falling for the strangest, sweetest, cutest guy ever she'll find out that she might have to choose between saving her world or his. As they race through the woods with Major Dad and most of the U.S. military one breath behind them, Jess and David grow closer than either of them anticipated. David has a secret that could change everything. Time is ticking down to Armageddon, and Jess must think fast if she's to save the boy she's falling in love with, without sacrificing Earth and everyone on it. 

Fire in the Woods is a sweet fall read. The Lux Series meets Alienated, this book will have you feeling giddy. If you know me then you know I LOVE ALIENS!!! I can never get enough. But what do I love more than just aliens??? Star-crossed alien human love! I don't think I can stress enough how sweet this book was. When Jess is running to the store to pick up some photos she decides to head through the woods where she is struck with a headache and then stumbles upon the mysterious David. With David having nowhere to go, injured, and with Jess feeling oddly obligated to trust him and help him, she decides to sneak him around and let him stay at her house.


"You see Dad, I can't stay in the house. There's this drop-dead gorgeous guy in the woods, and I promised to bring him ice... Nah. That wouldn't go over well. Certain things a girl should just keep to herself."


The thing I loved about Fire in the Woods was that when the aliens came here they think our planet is too cold. I've felt like when we do discover that there are aliens on our planet (because I know we will) that they would comment on it being too warm... So I really appreciated that Eaton took a different spin on this. The other  new spin on the alien genre I liked was that David took his appearance from Jess' thoughts. And since she was thinking about two smexy actors she just saw on a movie ad, it made hearing about David a lot easier... If you get what I mean... HE SOUNDS SO HOT!!! All muscles and turquoise eyes. Swoon. Jess and David's relationship is fun and entertaining. I loved that David is so clueless to how the human world works and how Jess soaks up every moment of it...

"Muddling around, he felt different parts of the door, and finally found the handle. A smile crossed his lips as he lifted the latch and the door opened. I did my best to hold back a smirk as he stepped out. 'You can fly a space ship, but you can't get out of a car?' his eyebrow arched. 'Do you know how to trigger a stagnant preemptory reaction in an overheard visualization module?' I folded my arms 'How would I know how to do that?' 'Any six year old can do that where I come from.' Well I wasn't born on a space ship.' 'And I've never had a reason to get out of a car before.' I smiled. 'Touche.'"

Yes, the whole book is that adorable. And thankfully there was no love triangle... THANK THE ALIEN GODZ THERE WAS NO LOVE TRIANGLE! Even though the love to me started super fast what can you really expect from a book?! At least it wasn't insta love. When the romance does start picking up and playing out it is as equally as adorable as the rest of the book. I love how the both of them had two completely different ways to show affection and that they were both so clueless to when the other one as flirting.

There isn't a whole lot of world building or sub characters in this book, but I felt that that was actually a plus for how this book played out. There is her dad and best friend but neither of them (in my opinion) were
super highlighted characters. I think my favorite thing about this book was the sprinkled in Alien references that we all know and love. This book kept a fast pace through out the whole time.The way Fire in the Woods ended was perfect. It did come with a sample for the first chapter of book two and I told myself I wasn't going to read it, but I caved and I'm so mad I did because I need to know what is going to happen.

Fire in the Woods does lean more towards the book Alienated than it does The Lux Series with it's light and care free attitude. I see why so many people are gushing about this book. Overall it's a quick fun and entertaining read alien fans everywhere will enjoy. It's been a good while since I've read a really good alien book and Fire in the Woods provided a much needed dose. 

8/10 Stars 

-Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment