Friday, November 7, 2014

Heir of Fire: Sarah J. Maas

Heir of Fire: Sarah J. Maas 

Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the death of her best friend. As the King’s assassin, she is bound to serve him even though she hates him... but he will pay for what he did. Celaena's only hope to destroy the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but there's so much there that he would have never expected her to find. If she can discover the truth she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat. While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. With Prince Dorian off fighting his own demons, and with the introduction of a new Fae ally, Rowan, will Celaena be able to stand her own and get the vengeance she deserves?!


First off does anyone else think that the covers for book two and three should have been switch? Maybe it’s just me. Either way I’m really loving the covers for this whole series so far. But to the point...

I will say that I didn’t like this book as much as book two, because I loved Crown of Midnight so much, mainly because this book had so much “setting up” to it that will be important later on. I was really hoping for some more badassassin like there was in the second novel, but there really wasn’t a lot of that going on. With all that being said the Throne of Glass series is undoubtedly one of the best series I have ever read.
I read so many reviews where people were saying “oh the first half of this book is like a 2 compared to the second half which is like a 5 star”, and I think people were right. The first half of this book was like pulling teeth. It was brutally slow!!! Trust me when I say PUSH THROUGH IT, IT'S WORTH IT!

I thought that I had my girl Celaena all figured out from reading the first two books... Nope. She is a broken, restless, and a guilt ridden girl in this book. Which is a complete turn around from how she was in the other two. Your heart will hurt just seeing how shattered she is. I think that everything that has broken her is what makes her go from the bottom to the top by the end of the book. After dusting herself off she decides its time to take control of her destiny. Celaena starts really revealing her memories and a lot of her past. Her memories are hard to hear and gruesome. She goes from being this strong tough cookie, to this brittle pastry of a person, back to a brick wall. I have never wanted to be a book character as bad as I've wanted to be her. She even gets all tatted up!!! Choal and Dorian are still swoon worthy and relentless. Dorian I started to love even more in this story. He has moved on from Celaena and I want to tell you so bad about their story but I just can't! All I can give you is her name, Sorscha. He has also really matured a lot more in this book. When he starts standing up to his D of a dad you'll find yourself hardcore cheering for him. Choal however went from one of my top book boyfriends to the bottom real fast. Yeah he still sounds smokin hot but that's all he really has going for him. I might just be holding a grudge, because of what he did to my girl idk. Either way he is indecisive and whiny this whole book! 

There is the introduction of some new characters as well. Rowan! As soon as he is introduced I was like Choal who?!?! Rowan is a dick turned sweetheart, and I'm definitely #teamfae. He starts to train Celaena to see her aunt and doesn't go easy on her. He thinks she is a Diva, but has no idea of her back story. When he finds out though sparks fly and a potential romance starts. Did I mention Rowan is sworn to serve Celaena's aunt for all entirety... Because he is! Her aunt isn't the only family member that is introduced in this book. When he shows up it’s really obvious. Her cousin and childhood best friend Aedion Ashryver comes into play. He is all deadly smiles, hot face, and bad attitude. He makes it very clear that when he finds his cousin he is going to help her take the crown.

There are a lot of twist towards the end of the book which totally made suffering through the first half worth it. The plot of this series is SO strong! 
The one big thing this book had going for it was its ending…OMG WHOOSH!!!! THAT ENDING!!!! THE ENDING... THAT ENDING... THE END! HOLY COWS IN SPACE! THE
ENDING!!!! BOOK FOUR IS GOING TO BE CRAZY!!!  I can't stress this enough...The last few chapters more than make up for the uphill battle you face during the first half, and you will have no idea what is going to happen. It will basically feel like you got hit by a bus by the time it's all over.

Overall I loved the second half of this book so much and can’t wait to get my hands on book four! And I think I, like everyone else have switched teams and are really hoping that Celaena and Rowan end up having something going on (even though she's blowing through boyfriends like the Kentucky derby I don’t care because I liked him so much.) I secretly think Maas is trying to kill us while we wait for the rest of this series to come out. The suspense of waiting for the final books to come out is unbearable! It don't think series get much better than Throne of Glass.

9/10 Stars for the second half of this book
-Angela 


1 comment:

  1. This series is epic! I haven't finished it yet but can't wait too :) great review

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/top-five-friday-4-books-i-wish-to-re.html

    ReplyDelete