Friday, November 14, 2014

Mystic City: Theo Lawrence


Mystic City: Theo Lawrence 
"For fans of  Matched, The Hunger Games, X-Men, and Blade Runner comes a tale of a magical city divided, a political rebellion ignited, and a love that was meant to last forever. Book One of the Mystic City Novels."

Aria Rose, youngest child of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, is set to marry Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud. This marry will unite the Uppers of Aeries, and keep the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. The only problem is Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas. She just wakes up one morning and is told she Over-dosed on mystic drugs and lost her memories. When Aria meets Hunter the rebel from the wrong side of the tracks, she start to have some recollection and Hunter might just know more than he leads on.
The description sounds awesome right? The cover is undoubtedly gorgeous! BUT! This book couldn't have been more predictable than if I wrote it myself. I once said that I set a new record by predicting an entire book by page 50... I did it in a total of 6 pages this time. I kid you not, I knew exactly where this book was going IN SIX PAGES!  There was not a single twist or turn that I didn't see coming. Not only did I find this book utterly predictable I found it lacking... Well everything. Mystic City to me had only a beautiful cover going for it.

My main problem with this book are the characters. They lack depth. I had no connection to Hunter or Aria. They were both *yawn* boring. Throughout the story I found myself giving no Fs about what happened to either of them.... At one point I had my fingers crossed that something tragic would happen to them. Aria is annoying!!!! Oh and has no brain. (Hunter isn't far behind her.) Also Aria is the most gullible character in all book history. Anytime anyone, even complete strangers, tells her something she believes them. She says at least ten times in this book "why would they lie to me"!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!! WHY WOULD THIS PERSON YOU'VE NEVER MET OR SPOKEN TO LIE TO YOU!!! Think about it for a second... But not too hard because we know how difficult thinking is for you. She's is so daft it's annoying!!!
It's clear from the get go that the person she is set to marry, Thomas, isn't who he is said to be... Trust me when I say I wont need to give out spoils you'll know in a few pages what's so "off" about him.

Hunter is pointless... And come to think of it for someone who is suppose to be so important in this book, I don't really remember him really even being that apart of it... Like I know he was there, and I know he was doing stuff, but I don't at the same time. Plus he's a mystic which means he has all these badass powers which he uses all the time; EXCEPT when it comes to saving his girl friend. He will defend her randomly in a dark alley but if someone tries to do real damage he just gives up and surrenders. He'll turn a stranger into a freaky fiery glow stick but someone points a gun at his girl and he throws his hands in the air like he just don't care. I seemed to have failed to also mention that he is a stalker who wants to be jack from the movie Titanic... Seriously there's a scene where she almost falls off a ledge and he saves her, and it was straight ripped off the big screen. This book relies so much on a relationship that doesn't play out well. When Lawrence is describing these characters I'm just gonna say that Thomas sounds smoking hot, his brother sounds hot, Aria's dad even sounds hot... Hunter however sounds like he suffers from a small case of butter-face... You think with how dumb Aria was she would have been fine with the lack of memories since she seemed to get an upgraded hottie. It's whatever though.
If you've read anything by me in the past you know I love sub characters and love to talk about them. There's only one in this book I want to touch base on and that's Kiki. I don't think I've ever disliked a character so much in my life. I DIDN'T GET THE POINT OF HER!!!! Plus she says idiotic b.s the whole book...  


I laughed "you always have to make a wild entrance. Remember at my birthday party    two years ago-" "when I dressed up like a baby"Kiki shrieks. "People nearly died. Or should have. No one else could have pulled off a high fashioned diaper" 
 


Seriously??! Like wtf, really? And this girl complains the whole book that she can't find a man... MMMM I WONDER WHY?!?!

The plot was lacking along with anything descriptive. I felt there was so many holes in this book and everything is so crammed together.  I don't even have the faintest idea of when this book is taking place except it's in the future. All I know is that there is all sorts of crazy global warming going on. Things are revealed in such odd and bland manner that it turned me off.  Her family is just evil but it mainly seems like it's for no reason. At least not one solidly given to us. Actually all the villains aren't really villain-y. The Mystics are riddled with super powers like healing, making themselves look like others, and walking through walls but yet they can't take down like five guys with a few guns. If this was like X-men like the description said then I think the people would have acted more like mystique and went all badass on their enemies. The whole thing just doesn't piece together. Oh and in this far far future people still tweet, text, and have iPods. Bet the makers of tweeter and apple products are super pumped about this. So in this magical, mystical future, we have technology that can erase very specific memories, but there's a surprisingly lack of technological advancements. Like Aria gets a job filing papers... Why not just store them in your super computers... You have scanners and pods that can take you around the city yet you don't have excel anymore?? I just can't.





It also seems frowned upon to travel but yet you can still go places like Bali... and that being said this craziness also seems to only be effecting New York. Or maybe I just missed something?!? Because Hunter is obsessed with just running away because the problem isn't outside of what seems like just Manhattan honestly.

Mystic City tried way to hard to be different and failed. It aimed to be like Black City but failed. It will also fail on being a book I recommend. Had high hopes for this series, but yes you guessed it, it failed.  I will fail to continue this series.


2/10 Stars 

-Angela 

2 comments:

  1. Such a shame you didn't like this book! I've been hoping to read it for ages and so I hope that if/when I do pick it up I enjoy it more than you did

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/review-sea-of-monsters-percy-jackson.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. I can see how people would like it but it def wasnt for me

      Delete