Thursday, November 20, 2014

Under Different Stars: Amy A. Bartol

Under Different Stars: Amy A. Bartol
"Kricket Hollowell is normally not one to wish upon stars; she believes they’re rarely in her favor. Well versed at dodging caseworkers from Chicago’s foster care system, the past few years on her own have made Kricket an expert at the art of survival and blending in. With her 18th birthday fast approaching, she dreams of the day when she can stop running and find what her heart needs most: a home. Trey Allairis hates Earth and doubts that anyone from his world can thrive here. What he’s learning of Kricket and her existence away from her true home only confirms his theory. But, when he and Kricket lie together under the stars of Ethar, counting them all may be easier than letting her go. Kyon Ensin’s secrets number the stars; he knows more about Kricket's gifts than anyone and plans to possess her because of them. He also knows she’s more valuable than any fire in the night sky. He’ll move the heavens and align them all in order to make her his own.

When everything in their world can be broken, will Kricket rely upon love to save her under different stars?" [taken from goodreads]

First off I had no earthly (pun intended) idea what this book was about when I ordered it. I've never known anyone whose read it either. I bought it because of the cover. When I received the book in the mail it was as amazingly stunning and well built in person. I mean look at it is so pretty! It's image and title are both so suited to this book. Second this book got me out of a reading slump. Third I really don't think the description of this book does it justice.

With that out the way the way lets get on to the review. This book has to be one of the best intros to a series I've read in; I don't even know how long. Under Different Star reminds me a lot of Throne of Glass. It has the same feel too it and the writing styles are similar along with the two leading ladies. But they are still very different... I mean that in the best way ever because I loved both so much.

The characters in this book are great!!! I'm not just talking about the main characters... I'm talking all the characters' sub and all. Kricket is a breath of fresh air. She isn't four feet tall weighing 90 pounds. She is Five eleven, curvy, and I loved it. Kricket is an truly wonderful LT.  She is witty, comical, wild, free, smart, and has no filter. She has easily become one of my favorite fems if not my actual fav. I really liked her that much. Her passion for life is something so special to read. The reason this book reminded me so much of Throne of Glass is because Kricket is a Phoenix. She has never had it easy and rises from the ashes of a hard upbringing. She's been abused, forgotten, and nearly killed but refuses to let that be what defines her. She was born with special gifts. Her mother was a priestess and passed along her powers. The one we know of really early on is that she can tell if people are lying or not (too a point) the other things she can do are slowly revealed and I think more will come as the series continue. Every thing about her is strong.


"I'll survive." "Really?" He asks with a surprise in his tone. "Yes." I nod once. "All alone?" "Yes." "It will take a very hard, very determined personality to survive what is ahead for you without help." "Got it," I growl through clenched teeth, anger flaring up in me at the sympathy in his voice. "You're tough?" "I'm stone." "Stone can be broken." Tilting my head toward him, I meet his eyes. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I'm used  to holding on to nothing as tight as I can." 

Like wow right! She is this poetic and put together the whole book.


The leading men in this book are Trey and Kyron...
Oh Trey! He jumped high up on the book boyfriend list. The above six foot Cavar with tattoos and a sassy attitude stole my heart. Everything from his honesty, to his sexy attitude had me praying he would  come take me away from Earth. I had to stop a few times and fan myself. It's hinted/pretty much done/said early on that Kricket and Trey will have a relationship. Before it happens though they drive each other insane. Their first encounter probably didn't help that case *hint* it involves mace. Trey is use to giving orders and she's use to not listening to them. Their relationship is something I loved reading. It's starts off so slow but builds. They go from pretending to be lovers to wanting to be lovers. The things they say to each other, whoosh, so freaking sweet. The moments between them had me swooning all over town. One of those said moments is when they are traveling back they have to keep Kricket's identity hidden till they have her safely in Rafe. Her and Trey pretend to have have a terrible time on their honeymoon and that she lost her ID. On the way back some soldiers ask about the wedding and I won't go too into detail about what revolves around that, because I loved this whole scene so much. 


“I told him that when we first met... I felt like a butterfly trapped in a net. But... I told him that the more time I spent with him, the more I began to realize how much he means to me I told him that since it seems to be my destiny to dodge raindrops... I was grateful to be dodging them with him. So, I promised him that it would always be his name on my mind when I start my rotation... and when I go to bed each evening... and every quiet moment in between. It will be his name... savored on my lips... stretched across my heart... worshiped by my body... and branded in my mind... until death do us part... and forever after that.”
Trey and Krickets relationship will have you falling in love. 

Kyon isn't a superstar, a there 24/7 character but I would still consider him a leading man. He is evil though... Evil; but sadly still sexy. He wants Kricket to marry him since she's been promised too him. 
"You belong to me Kricket. I'm here to take you home," he replies and he's not lying. He believes every word he just said. "I've come with ambassadors from Alameeda and Wurthem. We'll work out the terms for your release. It will be just a matter of negotiations. "Hold up... can you go back to the part where you said I'm yours? Because that's where I stopped listening to you." 
He's multiplicative, crazy, and brings the drama. The sub characters in this book are some of my favorites. Jax and Wayra were both hilarious. Their reactions to things like lacy bras, toenail polish, salsa dancing, and the statement "you bet your ass"  had me holding my sides. They were just so perfect and are part of the many reason I'm looking forward to book two.
This book was like watching a movie. I could see everything playing out in my head. Even with a bunch of worlds I was never confused. Even when there's not a whole lot of action going on I was never once bored. I was looking forward to the times of the day when I could get my hands on it and just binge read. Most of the high pace action comes towards the end, but the from start to that point is just flawless. At one point I was raging so hard I almost tossed my book at a wall and fell out my seat. There's a twist and a big surprise that happens as well which had me FREAKING OUT!!!! 


  
This book was so much more that I expected. Didn't expect to fall so hard for this novel, but I did. I will be counting down the days till book two comes out. 

15/10 Stars... yes 15 

-Angela
 

No comments:

Post a Comment