Sunday, October 19, 2014

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

All Our Yesterdays is a story of time travel. It follows two girls, Marina and Em, and two boys, Finn and James, on a very complicated journey from the future back four years into the past. I can't give much away about the plot without giving away spoilers because believe me when I tell you it's really freaking complicated. 
Em and Finn are trying to go back in time to change the actions of a future doctor who grows up to change the world. While his intentions were good, the power got intense and crazy world war changing stuff started happening. Em and Finn know how to fix things because they've gone back in time fourteen times before and have failed every time. This is their last shot to get it right because they'll probably end up dead in the process of trying.

Marina and James are best friends and have been since they were kids. Marina is madly in love with James, but he has no idea. He's the boy genius type and at 17 is studying at Johns Hopkins for his PhD. Tragedy strikes James and he and his friends and Marina are now caught up in all the mess that Em and Finn are trying to change...... Like I said, It's really freaking complicated.

Really all you need to know is this is one of the best books I've read this year. I'd never even heard of it until I was messing around on Goodreads looking for recommendations. (Pro tip- if you go to Goodreads and organize all of your absolute favorites into their own folder/category and them get recommendations based off of those books only, you'll get some really amazing suggestions). The synopsis sounded cool enough and they had it in stock at my local Barnes and Noble, so why not? Once I started, I couldn't put this book down. I had my hand over my mouth almost the entire time because the book is constantly going from INTENSELY INTENSE to intensely sad. It's very fast paced and action packed. There are very few things that are mentioned that aren't for a reason. You are confused for a lot of it but things start making since pretty early on. From there you just have to put the pieces together. I had absolutely no idea how this book was going to end. No idea. There were SO many different possibilities. I won't give any spoilers because reading it on your own is worth it, but the ending was a nail biter and made me shed a few tears. It blew me away with all the feels it made me feel. I was so SO sad, but happy at the same time. If I could give this book more than five stars I would. Go pick it up and you won't regret it. It will be one of the best standalone books you will read this year.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment