Sunday, October 5, 2014

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Ok, so here is the thing about MI: City of Bones, I really didn't know what to expect. I know, I know, I always say that. Really, this time I had no clue what I was getting myself into. I just knew what a cult following this series has and that my co-blogger said she would cut me off as a friend if I didn't like this series. No pressure.

  If you haven't read this book, I'm going to go ahead and warn you this long review will be full of spoilers because I am dedicated to making this review as thorough as I can since it was SO AWESOME. So if you haven't read the book, just read this short synopsis: Clary is a normal teenage girl until one day her life becomes not so normal. Her mom gets kidnapped, she starts seeing things no one else can see, and she finds herself in the company of some really hot demon hunters. Crazy drama happens. Lots of battles. A little bit of romance. SOME CRAZY TWISTS THAT YOU WILL NOT SEE COMING. A WTF???? twist at the end that will leave you NEEDING the next book like right.now. One of the biggest things I LOVED about this book that is different from other books is the perspective in which it is written. If this book was like other books, it would be solely from Clary's point of view. Taking it back to English class, we know when we have an unreliable narrator, we only get the story from their side and things may not be exactly how they went down. Cassandra Clare wrote this as an all knowing narrator so that we get EVERYONE's POV (well those she wants us to know). It really helps the story come together as a whole and you feel like you are really getting the big picture. I really enjoyed this part of it.

So every time I tried to write this review I would start and stop and eventually erase what I wrote. There is really no way to fully put into words how amazeballs this book is. I knew a spoiler coming into the book that I accidently found out while looking at MI memes on Google Images (rookie move, I know), but even knowing that spoiler coming in, it still blew my mind when it happened. Ok, so I want to talk about the big spoilers that really tossed me for a loop:
 -Luke being a freaking werewolf. I mean, this totally explains the scene at Hotel Dumort with the vamps when the wolves bust in. When that scene happened and then no one addressed it afterwards, I was like "ummm hello?? is anyone else concerned why these werewolves were looking for Clary?" Thankfully we got the full backstory about EVERYTHING. I still think Luke has the hots for Jocelyn and that's the part of the story he was leaving out.
 -Hodge being a turncoat. HOLY BOLOGNA I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. Yeah, I thought he was a little weird but I thought he'd be like the Dumbledore and go down for his kids. UM NO. This dude said holla and peaced out and just handed Jace over to Valentine like he was a turkey sandwich. Are you kidding me??? And I'm still not clear if Hodge actually died in the alley w/Luke or if he was just hurt really badly. CAN YA GIRL GET SOME ANSWERS.
-The whole brother sister thing with Jace and Clary. Ok so this was the spoiler I knew coming. And I know that they end up not being brother and sister, but that doesn't come until way later. But the way that everything went down was such a twist. I can't believe Valentine pretended to be Michael Wayland. NO WONDER JACE BELIEVES HE IS HIS FATHER. OR MAYBE HE REALLY IS HIS DAD. I HAVE NO IDEA. But if Valentine is Jace's dad, then who is Clary's? I really need for Jocelyn to wake up out of her peaceful slumber so I can get some answers because at the moment, my brains are all over the floor from my mind exploding. I know what I am about to say is blasphemy and I should be ashamed of myself... but I even tried to google the answers and see who is Clary's father and who is Jace's father BUT GOOGLE COULDN'T EVEN GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER. Serves me right for trying to get a spoiler anyway. The good thing is I KNOW they aren't, so I know the answer is coming. (Unless my source who told me that it isn't true is a lying liar who lies and in that case y'all better be prepared for the world to get set.on.fire.)

 I really hope in the next book (which I am starting tomorrow) that Clary doesn't try to fall in love with Simon now that he is her next best option since Jace is her brother. I hope they find out in this next book the truth so they can get out romantic with each other again. I hope Isabelle goes away because I don't really think she adds a lot to the plot other than the steriotypical alpha girl drama. I hope Alec comes out of the closet and his parents are Ds about it. I really would love Alec and Magnus to be boos since Magnus is SO fabulous. LOVE HIM! I want to dress myself in a gold turban and kimono just so I can be more like him. I hope Luke and Jocelyn are together and Luke is really Clary's dad (that'd be so sweet... but it's too easy). Since I don't know if Hodge is dead or not, I guess he may or may not make a reapperance. I think now that Alec and Isabelle's parents are involved and the Clave is involved, they're going to come down hard on some rules.

Truthfully, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT BECAUSE CASSANDRA CLARE TOOK EVERY EXPECTION I HAD AND THREW THEM OUT THE WINDOW AND THEN SET THEM ON FIRE. Anyway, I can see why everyone loves this series so much. You really find yourself connecting with the characters and growing to love them (even when you don't even really like them). I can already tell this series is going to be at the top of my list. I am so, SO excited to see what happens next (and I promise I won't google anymore spoilers).

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment