Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Well, that was different. I really didn't know what to expect from this book coming in. From other reviews I knew most people didn't like the main character, Mary, and that there were zombies. 
REVIEW IS FILLED WITH SPOILERS.. BUT SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME AND JUST READ THE REVIEW AND SKIP THE BOOK. PS THIS REVIEW IS FILLED WITH LOTS OF SHOUTY CAPS BECAUSE THAT'S HOW THIS BOOK MADE ME FEEL.


So when I first started reading, I felt like Mary was apart of this cult type village where the Sisterhood shielded them from the rest of the world (a la The Village). I really felt for Mary, especially after her mother died and her brother turned her away. I respected her for letting her mother make the voice to turn in hopes of maybe finding her father on the other side of the fence. I thought her brother, Jed, was a big D when he turned her away after the death and sent her to be taken in by the Sisterhood since no one had pledged to marry her (WTF Harry??). I hated Sister Tabitha for being this weird ruler who knew all this stuff about The Return but wouldn't share it with the rest of the village. Why wouldn't you share the history with the people? 

Anyway, once Travis showed back up and Mary realized that her love for him was something she couldn't ignore, I was really rooting for them. I hated how Cass developed as a character-- she went from being light hearted and care free to being blinded by the faith of the Sisterhood and their promises, yet she was one of the weakest members of their pack after the invasion of the zoms. I mean, seriously chick, you can't just throw yourself on the ground and weep every time something bad happens. I get it, you hate Mary now because you realize that both Travis and Harry always wanted her, but move on. I mean, she did eventually when she took Jacob in as her own (which is kind of weird in itself considering I'm pretty sure they are all fairly young). 

I was still #teamMary up until she FINALLY had Travis and they had to promise of having each other forever. He wanted her so badly yet she couldn't stop being a selfish B long enough to realize that everything he did was for her and all she kept thinking of was these hopes and dreams and the promise of something more. I get. You can't just settle, but your selfishness ended up being the death of the one dude who loved you more than anything else. He sacrificed him self in that big PLOT TWIST where he helped them escape the fire from the platform by jumping into the sea of zoms only to reveal it didn't matter because HE HAD ALREADY BEEN BITTEN! OH SNAP! So as Travis lay there dying Mary FINALLY sees that he would have been enough and how much she loved him. A little late, dontcha think? 

So fast forward to the ending where ONCE AGAIN someone sacrifices their life for her dreams of something more.... Mary finally finds her ocean, and OMG she just so happens to be saved by some random dude who lives in the lighthouse on the shore. Guess she got her happy ending. Too bad ALL OF THE REST OF THE CHARACTERS OF THE STORY ENDED UP DYING AT HER EXPENSE (one way or the other). Give me a break. 

The only unanswered question that I wish was answered is that the dog, Argos, makes it ok (but I'm sure that says more about me than anything).

2/5
(and that is super generous only because the cover is pretty BA and I liked the dog)

No comments:

Post a Comment