Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Kiss of Deception: Mary E. Pearson

The Kiss of Deception Mary E. Pearson 


She flees on her wedding day and steals ancient documents from a secret collection. She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father. They're not the only one looking for her either. She is Princess Lia First Daughter of the House of Morrighan. When Lia flees on her wedding day with her best friend/maid they settle in a small village. She takes to working in a local tavern where she must be careful of letting slip out who she is. When two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive she is unaware that one is the prince she was said to marry and the other is an assassin sent to kill her.

Imma need a mani after this book, because it sure was a nail bitter! Whoosh.

Pretty sure by now you all know what the big hook of this book is; you have no idea who the assassin is and who the prince is. I'll let you in on a little secret, I tried to guess and guessed wrong. 

This story goes between switching Povs with Lia, Rafe, Kaden, the assassin, and the Prince. I'm becoming more and more a fan of switching views in stories, and this story is an added reason to why. Mary Pearson did an excellent job in seamlessly switching back and forth while leaving us little bread crumbs of evidence to which guy was which. Even with her little trails I was still guessing up until the last minute. 

Now lets put our gloves on and really get down in it... Lia's character isn't a fighter but boy does she have a way with words. She is all sass all the time. Telling guys off is what she commands at. She does a lot of putting tough guys in their places, and I support this. She even threatens to have a few men become a little less manly if you catch my drift...

There are several hints that ya girl may or may not have some kind of ancient super power... I say hint because it's never reviled if she does or doesn't. I love that Lia takes to working hard and not just laying around. I love that she's willing to give away everything at a chance to live a life of her own choosing. Even though there are a few times when her whole "which mysterious boy should I choose" thing gets a little overdone I can still stand behind her... That being said guess we should talk about that love triangle the story is based around. I both loved and hated it.

There's Rafe and then there's Kaden. Yup, That's pretty much all I can say about them without giving anything away... Oh but they are both super hotties! (swoon especially one of them *wink wink*) Okay, okay I wont do that to you, I'll try to give you a little more.
Both boys made an impression on me right away. Rafe with his strength and bold choices, and persistence. Then Kaden with his sweet ways and kind heart. Now that I think about it I don't know if I would really call it a love triangle. I guess I would say they are both love interest.

The second half of this book is WAY stronger than the first. Lia starts to really figure out who she wants to be and how she wants people to see her. There is a grave digging scene in this book and it's really what put me on team Lia. It is beautiful and probably my favorite part of the whole story. Now you're probably thinking "wtf? why is she digging a grave?!" THE SUSPENSE!!! 

When things finally do start to come to light the story makes a really strong pull to the finish. Oh and of course I shouldn't fail to mention that I loved the cliffhanger and romance that wraps this story up! 

There are two reasons I didn't give it a higher rating, 1) Is the cover. Yes it's beautiful BUT I hate when there's a person on the covers then they don't match the character descriptions. Lia is said it have dark hair and the girl on the cover has dirty blonde hair and 2) I felt at some point the writing was a little repetitive and felt like it was just used to fill up some space. Like sometimes less is more. Can't freaking wait to get a hold of book two!

9/10 Stars

-Ang

2 comments:

  1. I love this review! I found it through Instragram, and I was wondering if you accept review requests? I have two YA novels I would LOVE to send you two. One is an award-winning paranormal romance, and the other is a dystopian story about a clairvoyant drug. If you would like more information, please email me at shannonathompson@aol.com
    ~SAT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would love to review both of them. Leah has sent you an email for some clarification and we look forward to talking to you!

      Delete