Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter

How has this series been out for almost four years and I've never heard of it? I randomly came across it on Goodreads (per usual) and it sounded right up my alley. It sounded vaguely reminiscent of Hex Hall WHICH I LOVE  so I figured I would give it a shot.

This book may be almost 400pg but it is such a fast read! It is so much fun. If you love vampires, witches, shape shifters, werewolves, and fae then you'll love all of this. Kyle is a teenager who gets sent off to this camp for juvies when she gets caught at a party with alcohol. She's a good girl but her mom is a hard ass and her parents are going through a divorce so it's like the perfect excuse to ship her off. Except when she gets to the camp, she finds out this isn't your normal summer camp where you'll be kayaking and making s'mores. The camp is for juvies all right, but it is for juvie supernaturals. Kylie is completely freaked out because other than night terrors and seeing the occasional ghost (which she thinks is her being legit crazy), there is no way she is like any of the freaks at the camp. They all say that in books, don't they? Everyone at camp quickly figures out she isn't like them either because they all do this weird eyebrow wiggle that reads other supernaturals (I found myself doing it every time they mentioned it in the book).

You can guess before even reading the book that Kylie is gifted, but we don't find out what she is in this book. We learn about her gifts and her ghosts (literally) but there are no definite answers on what she is. There is a big twist towards the end that left me in tears because a lot of things come together and make sense once it happens. It is so bittersweet that you honestly don't know how to feel. The ending is really what pushes this from a four star book to a five star. I had some feelings about the twist, but I didn't come close to guessing correctly. I love being surprised with books and I love even more when they grab my emotions like this one did.

There is a love triangle in this, but it is more of a love square. Kylie has her exboyfriend that JUST WON'T GO AWAY named Trey, this super hot half fae named Derek, and this even super hotter mysterious werewolf named Lucas that all have her interest. The thing that I really like about Kylie though is that even though she is a normal teenage girl with hormones flowing everywhere, she doesn't put romance at the top of her list. In fact, she actually tries to push all of the romance aside to deal with all of the other bigger issues going on. I think that's huge because despite the love triangle (that I know some people hate... personally, I love them!) she isn't a giggly little girl about it. That earns her points in my book.

There is also good friendships in this one with her roomies, Della the vamp and Miranda the witch. The book is light hearted at times but it also touches on some heavy stuff. I think the way it flows through the heavy stuff makes it easy to relate to because it is things that most people have gone through at some point. The fact that it is happening to supernaturals just makes it cooler.

So, definite 5/5 stars for me! I've already picked up book #2 in this series and cannot wait to dive in. The series is five books in all so I really can't wait to see where it goes.

5/5
-Leah

If Hex Hall, The Sixth sense, and Twilight had a baby that baby would be Born at Midnight.

I'm actually pretty mad at all my goodreads friends right now... WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS BOOK!!!??

I want to Hulk smash my keyboard because I'm so high off fangirl fumes right now that I want to rant and rave about this book!
I both love and hate a love triangles and this story has a little one. When it started to happen, I'll be honest, I was nervous and didn't think I was going to like it. Wrong, I really liked it. The reason why?! Because the love didn't over take the plot of this story. I didn't shadow that Kylie is there to figure out who and what she is. Kylie is also really relate-able. She thinks and talks like shes 16. The guys in this book are HOT and mysterious. Which means I fell hard for them. I know this book is going to be either a hit or miss for people. You'll either love it or hate it I don't think they'll be any in between. The reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because I wish we would have figured out what Kylie is. But more than that I just need answers in general... I NEED MORE LUCAS!!!!

I can't wait to read the rest of this series


9/10 Stars 


<3 Angela  

No comments:

Post a Comment